PDA

View Full Version : Why Do I Suck at Bleeding Brakes!?!?!?!

nate_o23
03-09-2008, 16:08
It seems I have always had rotton luck bleeding brakes...and I cant figure out why. Yesterday I replaced the front calipers on my 85 Suburban. I let them gravity bleed untill fluid came out the bleeders. Then I used a mighty-vac to bleed them again. Then just for good measure I did the old 2 person bleed. I took it for a test drive and the brakes were MUSH! I am so hacked off.
AM I doing something wrong??
Is there some trick I dont know about??
HELP!

joe bleaux
03-09-2008, 16:26
Exactly, how did you do the two-person bleed?

Joe

nate_o23
03-09-2008, 17:12
started with right side, had person press and hold brake, I cracked bleeder screw, then closed bleeder screw and had person let off brake, repeat, repeat, etc..

trbankii
03-09-2008, 19:01
Tried the Mity-Vac a few times with completely unsuccessful results. Each time I ended up borrowing the neighbor's son to push the pedal while I bled the brakes...

Picked up a Motive Products kit - http://www.motiveproducts.com/ - and haven't looked back...

Saves borrowing the neighbor's son... :)

joe bleaux
03-09-2008, 21:05
It SOUNDS like you are doing it correctly but: pump FULLY SEVERAL TIME, crack screw while pedal goes to floor and tighten screw before OTHER PERSON RELEASES PEDAL and repeat several times and be sure to start with full master cylinder with each wheel.

Joe

started with right side, had person press and hold brake, I cracked bleeder screw, then closed bleeder screw and had person let off brake, repeat, repeat, etc..

joescj5
03-10-2008, 10:12
Are the bleeder screws pointing almost straight up, or are they pointed at about 4 o'clock? If they are not pointing straight up then you have the calipers on the wrong side and there will be an air pocket in the calipers you can never bleed out (don't ask me how I know :o)

Turbo Al
03-10-2008, 11:34
Joe thanks for the great tip lol --- just can't figure out how you found that out ( ;

Al