PDA

View Full Version : speed limit in Ill for trucks

qinlet
03-10-2008, 07:13
Jut traveled through Illinoise with my pickup and 5th wheel camper and am really irritated with their 55mph speed limit for motorhomes, campers and trailers. all the motorhomes campers and some out of state trailers were plugging along at 55 all the while being passed by Illinoise licensed trucks pulling large cargo and construction trailers and I never saw any of them stopped. If the State Patrol only wants to ticket outof state vehicles and ignore instate violations I dont think is very fair. Has anybody any experience with this.

rustyk
03-11-2008, 19:44
I roll my motorhome through IL a couple of times a year. Generally, road surfaces are in such disrepair that I don't run over 60 mph, anyway.

In any event, I live with it, running at 60 mph...

redbird2
03-11-2008, 21:56
I live in IL I never see anyone drive the speed limit in state or out of state I drive 65-70 set cruise and never look back. I get passed all day long by everything else on the road.

tanker
03-15-2008, 04:53
I feel the same way when towing or driving truck. Ohio is the same way, Except now they raised the speed limit on the Ohio Turnpike to 65 MPH for trucks. Why? Well most truckers were using the US Route 20 etc. Why pay a high toll then be limited to 55 MPH. So they reduced the tolls and raised the speed limit to 65 for all. People and businesses complained about all the truck traffic on the US routes. However all the other Interstates in Ohio still have the 65 for four wheelers and 55 for trucks and trailers.
If I can I avoid such states. I had to go from SE Pennsylvania to Louisville KY, a few weeks back. Ohio was a slow process, so on my return trip I stayed in Kentucky, West Virginia, Maryland the Pennsylvania where the speeds are 65 & 70 MPH.
I just wonder when the Federal Government will do like they did the last time fuel was short etc and made 55 MPH the National speed limit to save fuel?
Conway Trucking just set all their trucks back to 62 MPH to save fuel. At over $4.00 per US Gallon, I'm sure many others will as well.

MaxACL
03-16-2008, 09:01
CA is the same way. HOWEVER... at 55 my fuel mileage is better and after many hours of driving, I'm not as tired. I've passed drivers with a 15 mph difference (me doing 70 - them doing 55) and many miles down the road when I stop for a break, it seems that by the time I exit the truck and streach, they are right behind me. Not much gain.

When I'm in a big hurry, I'll find someone doing 70 and fall in behind them (I don't have a CB). Otherwise I put Chet Atkins in the CD player and enjoy the drive.

I have moticed... Once I do 70, I can't slow back down. It hurts to drive 55.

Mike

MaxACL
03-16-2008, 09:04
IL State Police are real mean in the construction zones. There I do do the posted limit.

Mike

enforcer233
03-16-2008, 19:26
I may open a can of worms but we all remember when we were in drivers ed and did comparisons of time of travel between set points at one speed, say 55 and a higher speed, say 70 and how we did not save but just a few minutes or seconds over normal driving distances, say to work. It is amazing how many people forget that when they get their licenses.

As a cop for the last 26 years and now a supervisor I am always reminding my men and women that we need to set a proper example of driving behavior to the public. When I drive I set my cruise at maybe one mile over the speed limit. It is amazing how many people out there think it is OK to pass a marked police car driving the speed limit. In a manner of speaking it is our own fault, or the fault of the judge that gives us "the look" when we truly enforce the speed limit, that people drive like they do because we, including myself do not want to write someone for doing more than 10 or so over the limit,so we do not get "the look", although I have written for as little as seven over.

What is the hurry any way? Part of my career was as the supervisor of a fatal crash reconstruction team. Probably around 90% of the fatal crashes I worked involved excessive speed. The old saying "Drive 55, arrive alive" is a good one and very true. I read a lot of posts from people who have increased horsepower and torque in these pages and I can't help to wonder if a lot of the increased horsepower is for more speed as opposed to greater towing power.

Please drive the speed limit, you may save yourself a lot of money and perhaps your life or the lives of your family that may be with you.

93GMCSierra
03-16-2008, 20:24
Not to jump in and step on anyones toe's but good point about the police setting example. Around here not one actually obeys most traffic laws they speed they run stop signs, and fail to use blinkers and other signals.

mr. monte
03-17-2008, 05:44
I like to drive at 70 MPH, but I know if I slow down, my fuel economy increases my 2-3mpg, so with the current cost of fuel, pulling my trailer or not, I don't go over 60 mph

Stlheadake
04-10-2008, 09:34
I use to get it! Set the cruise on 75 and let it eat! Then I discovered something. On my dashboard computer there is a setting for average MPGs. NOW I watch that damned number closer than anything else! I have competitions with my buddies!

No resets, and based on a weeks worth of driving. Obviously we have to be HONEST with each other, but loser buys beer! The other day I had about 80 miles round trip on I-70. I had the cruise set on 55 and I WAS NOT IN THE PASSING LANE AT ALL!! (just wanted to get that out there right now!) I was facing a 3/4 strong head wind. I still managed to keep that MPG reading at 19 and 20 mpgs fighting the wind!

Boy, I sure could tell that I was the only one playing the MPG 'game'

MaxACL
04-10-2008, 22:53
Doing the speed limit is just a start. Not using the cruse control on rain slick roads, leaving the make-up kit in the bag and not talking on that #***@%! cell phone would make my driving life much happier.

THe wife made me remove the two bumper stickers off the back of my truck. One was "you could drive better if that cell phone was shoved up your arse!" And the other one had something to do about cats.

Mike