PDA

View Full Version : Converted a 1996 Ram 3500 to cummins now have alt problem

DA BIG ONE
03-12-2008, 07:09
Pretty much plug and play conversion if using ecu but it has gone south so trying to get the alternator to charge properly w/remote regulator, it over charges.

Trouble shooting guide and factory manual say to look for ground to field wires if overcharging, or voltage sensor not detecting proper voltage. The voltage sensor is in the regulator, and I've been through a few now and get fast switching of field at idle but no switching above idle. The alternator puts out a constant 14.7 volts about 70 amps and never turns off resulting in over charged batteries.

Thinking there was some problem with harness so I made a new one, still the same problem.

The field is a two wire setup and I'm using the Dodge regulator which is designed for the 2 wire setup.

Help!

DA BIG ONE
03-13-2008, 01:06
Any of you know if I can make the stock voltage regulator adjustable? Or, can I just install a 'adjustable pot' going to alternator field to adjust out put?

coolman
11-24-2008, 10:36
I am a newby to this forum. I did arecent conversion and had alt problems. A local alt shop sold me a part that fits inside of your alt, and allows you to connect to an ignition source to energise the alt and regulate it automaticly. Cost me approx $30.Will have to check my files for info.