PDA

View Full Version : 93 6.5TD

mathewsw
08-19-2004, 08:41
Hi all, been lurking in the wings, now could use some help, Took my truck on cross country trip pulling a "LOADED" U-Haul trailer, largest one they have. When I hit the hills it was pedal to the metal, but to no avail, I was down to 40 - 45 mph. Need More Power! Just bought a very heavy slide-in camper. Suggestions Appreciated.

MTTwister
08-19-2004, 08:54
mathewsw - You've come to the right place!
Start with the Search feature - in the upper right quadrant of the web page. Then there are back articles ( published by year) that have more information.

You're looking at reducing backpressure in exhaust, letting more air in ( airbox mods and filter), increasing reliability, upping boost while managing IAT, performance chipping, and depleting your bank account smile.gif . Search Away -

moondoggie
08-19-2004, 09:03
Good Day!

From memory (others will correct as necessary, I'm sure), mostly in the order I'd do them:
</font> Larger exhaust;</font> High-pop injectors;</font> Cooling mods (a MUST before any other power mods; covered extensively in previous year articles - buy them all, worth every penny);</font> Intercooler;</font> re-cal IP (injection pump)</font>All of these are available from our advertisers; I know Kennedy sells most of this stuff.

Keep us updated - some of us can't actually do any of this stuff, & it's fun to read about it. :D

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

roclongrider
08-19-2004, 09:28
Agree with Moondoggie with the caveat that I'd first add gauges(boost, exhaust temp and tranny temp) before mods to get a baseline and a way to monitor what's going on! :cool:

mathewsw
08-19-2004, 11:14
Thanks All! smile.gif Sounds Like my first project will be the exhaust system. Guess it would also be a good time to add an exhaust brake.

BuffaloGuy
08-19-2004, 11:42
Matthew. Try what's in my signature. It works great for me! Good luck.
Ken

moondoggie
08-19-2004, 11:45
Good Day!

I knew you guys would bail me out. I can't believe I forgot gauges!

Blessings!

Brian Johnson, #5044

egaudet
08-19-2004, 13:04
Hi Mathewsw, I also have been sitting in the wings, not sure what to do as I have just joined the Diesel Page and wish to improve the performance from my 1994 3500 GMC dually. I have a 6.5 turbo that appears stock except for a K&N filter, I will be carrying a 3100lb camper, appreciate any suggestions, note this is my first diesel and I consider myself a definite newby

cudaaa
08-19-2004, 14:10
I would get with Heath or Kennedy both sell good products & are straight shooters they won't sell you stuff you won't need! Check what I have done at the sig at the bottom made all the differance in the world! Money well spent! cudaaa

JeepSJ
08-19-2004, 14:14
Right after the larger exhaust (preferably at the same time) address the low boost issue with something like Heath's TurboMaster.

mathewsw
08-20-2004, 12:51
Thanks All smile.gif Guess I need to get some gauges first so I know my starting point. Already have a lot of $$ invested, have on order Air Lift Air Bags, Auto Leveling System, Rancho 9000x Shocks, 19.5 Rims & 245X70X19.5 Dunlop Tires.