PDA

View Full Version : strange steering issue

Kmehr
03-13-2008, 15:25
I have a strange issue happening with my steering. I bought my truck 3 months ago (first diesel woo woo!) and bought it like this. When I am driving down a straight road there is a slight wander, but when I correct it takes the wheel more turn than it should to "catch." I can only describe it as the steering feels really loose, kind of like there is some play in it but it does turn the truck some, just not as much as when it "catches." Not sure how well I conveyed the issue, but any help would be appreciated! To my knowledge there have been no suspension mods.

Kenneth
03-13-2008, 18:55
It sounds like the steering linkage is worn out, possibly your steering gear box, but more likely the linkage. Take it into a tire shop and they'll usually check it out for free.

a5150nut
03-13-2008, 20:41
Pittman arm and idler link are very common replacement parts on these trucks.

damork
03-14-2008, 19:29
Definitely the right area to focus on - pitman arm, idler linkage, tie rod ends... If you choose to do the work yourself, make sure you get the right puller to get the pitman arm off the steering gear. I replaced all the parts on mine and was very glad I had the right tools - the pitman arm needed every bit of force the puller had, and if I recall it needed something like 200 lb-ft of torque on the re-assembly process.

When it came to realignment with the new parts in place, I never followed factory specs and had the alignment shop give me just the minimum toe-in that provided good driveability. First step is finding an alignment shop that will work with you. Factory specs tend to wear the outside edges of the tires too quickly. Also had the camber set to non-factory specs - don't have the numbers but the bottom line is to have the tire as vertical as possible and not have the tops of the tires tipped out to the degree the factory specs call for. I ran two sets of Michelin tires to over 110,000 miles each by following this and the truck handled like a dream, tire wear was very even.

diesel65
03-15-2008, 07:39
This is a 98' vehicle, It has variable power assist steering. The speed sensor at the base of the steering column when intermittently working can cause weird steering sensation.
You need a Tech II scanner to access the body codes to see if the sensor is the culprit.
Considering the unkown past history of the vehicle, I would change the sensor first.
I have replaced alot of these sensors on my fleet vehicles.

DA BIG ONE
03-16-2008, 01:08
"On variable power assist power steering the steering box must be centered!" The steering sensor needs the box centered too.

I suggest MOOG problem solver steering and suspension parts if needed, higher cost but much longer lasting parts well worth the extra $.

Worn suspension especially ball joints will cause wandering (play), pull and excessive wear on tires.

Kmehr
03-26-2008, 09:52
Thanks for all of the advice! Will a place like advance have such a scanner?