PDA

View Full Version : 700r4 TV (kickdown) cable stuck)

cwillis
03-15-2008, 15:49
so i was driving home with the fam today and all of the sudden the tranny didnt want to shift until redline.

first instict-TV cable

it shifted fine. pretty firm but only at high rpms. i took off the intake and looked. the cable on the drivers side of the little bracket thing is stuck at the WOT posistion. seems like i can move it by hand a tiny bit, but cant feed it all the way in.

what do i do?
do i drop the pan?

if i go to the car shop on base what should i bring? i already have a filter kit and ATF. any other parts?

help please ASAP. we are supposed to take a long road trip in one week!

cwillis
03-15-2008, 18:59
so i did some more research and decided to try to "set the TV cable"

still didnt work. it just doesnt have any rebound to it. this should pull back like it was spring loaded right?

?

thanks

Chris

Robyn
03-15-2008, 20:27
Your cable has either taken a poop or the TV valve is stuck.
The TV controls the throttle pressure which controls line pressure and all sorts of things related to shifting.
This has to be set right or you toast the tranny.

Yank the pan and see whats up. My bet is that the cable went south and is jammed in the jacket.
Only way to tell is to pull the pan and see whats up.

Once the unit is fixed so it is free you need to readjust the TV cable.
Release the little slider unit and slide the adjuster all the way back toward the firewall and then with the cable hooked up , mash the throttle all the way and this will extend the cable to its proper position.

Good luck

Robyn

cwillis
03-16-2008, 02:09
why thank you ma'am for your timely and informative reply. . . i love this board. . .

so if the cable took a dump, how much am i looking at spending? sounds like a dealer only part?

and if its the valve?

Thanks. just worried cause uncle sam doesnt pay all that much.

thank you all for taking time to educate me.
Chris

cwillis
03-16-2008, 04:56
so i was looking again at the cable near the injection pump. . .

in between the bracket where the cable sheath terminates and the bracket where the cable itself is connected to the linkage, i have another leg of cable.

another cable is attached to it but now is not aatached to anything. . .

does anyone know what this is or where it goes?

Thanks
Chris

cwillis
03-16-2008, 07:18
well i dropped the pan this morning, made a huge mess, and pulled off the whole "cover your entire arm with old ATF and stumble to your wife acting like its blood" haha that went over well.

anyways
the cable moves freely and easily now. the plunger was just stuck in there. once i manually freed it, it cycles easily. my problem is, i thing the spring lost some of its rebound because there is still no tention on it until 1/2 throttle.

napa doesnt have them, advanced doesnt have them, anyone know where i can get one?

thanks.
Chris

DmaxMaverick
03-16-2008, 10:16
You can get any 700 parts you need from a tranny shop. Most of the parts are not carried by the parts stores or GM. You may find some online tranny parts suppliers with what you need, but it usually requires a phone call to get the right parts.

I've done the "bloody mess" thing with my wife a few times. The only response I ever got was, "better wash up.....and you better not get any on the floor!" Oh, well....

cwillis
03-19-2008, 16:43
boo yah! So the TV valve plunger was frozen and i freed it.
put it all back together and changed the filter. refilled and now it runs AWEOME.
Its not downshifting but i know that all i have to do is set the TV cable, as i didnt do it after the reassembly (no one to hit the pedal for me).

this is awesome. you guys are great, i would have never been able to get this done without you all.

i know a tranny shop would have rebuilt the whole thing and charged me $1000 plus

DmaxMaverick
03-19-2008, 18:17
Good job! http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/images/icons/icon14.gif