PDA

View Full Version : What oil filters are people using?

JFerg65
03-16-2008, 10:34
I'm going to make the switch to synthetic and figured I should probably upgrade my standard filter as well. What are people using in regard to a spin on that is in the stock location? Are there any benefits going with a larger (higher volume filter)?

Thanks

DmaxMaverick
03-16-2008, 11:06
Some brands may be better than others, but most name brands are as good as other brand names. Anything but Fram should be good (friends don't let friends use Fram!). Amsoil and Mobil 1 offer synthetic media filters, but I have no data to show they are any better than others. Peace of mind may be worth the extra cost. Switching to synthetic fluids under any condition is beneficial, IMO. Beware of the "faux" synthetics out there. The word "synthetic" can be rather subjective these days. Amsoil, Mobil 1, and a couple others, are still genuine full synthetics. There are, however, some big name brands that have stretched the definition of the word.

The increased filter capacity can't hurt. Theoretically, they are an improvement. A greater media surface area equates to less flow velocity, and greater filtering ability, all else equal.

enforcer233
03-16-2008, 19:30
Mobil 1 Turbo Diesel Truck 5W40 and Mobil 1 filter.

rustyk
03-17-2008, 21:23
I use only Wix filters. But then my background as a fuels and lubricants engineer gives me a leg up...

Rafedial1
03-17-2008, 21:42
Obviously gassers are different but lubricity is a similar principle...

2004 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Z71 5.3L used 5w-30 Mobil 1 Synthetic since new along with a mix of Mobil 1 and K&N filters.

I can still push 80 psi oil pressure when hot at 5500 rpms and never varies at any RPM. At least 38-40 psi at idle when hot. 68,900 miles ALL changes synthetic. As stated before a filter built for synthetic oil may be better. Hope this helps...

sturgeon-phish
03-17-2008, 23:11
I can't remember the part number but I used the AO amsoil filter.
Jim

JFerg65
03-18-2008, 16:30
I appreciate the feedback. I'll head out to the parts store and see what they got. I have a feeling I'll be doing this via internet though. I guess I better pick up some synthetic first.

Hubert
03-18-2008, 19:44
I agree with DmaxMaverick mostly same among recongnized brands Wix, Puralator, Baldwin etc, you pick your brand. I don't think Mobil, STP, K&N etc actually make thier own and seriously doubt any are significantly different than other "paper" elements.

And what sturgeon-phish said - Next level better is the Amsoil filter with Donaldson made media - AO or Ea ??? Ask a Amsoil rep. about it.

I think to get all the benefits of extended drain intervals of synthetic a bypass filter or aftermarket low micron filtration is recommended. Otherwise its just a really expensive oil change if not severe duty or cold weather etc. To reiterate my opinion with diesel the soot build up is the main issue not just necessarily base oil stock quality. Modern dino oil with good maintenance is more than adequate.

restoguy
03-18-2008, 19:47
D-Mav is right on! Fram is junk! I use all Wix. Wix does make a 2 qt version of the filter used on my 4X4 6.5L. But it doesn't have a drain back valve and it takes too long to pressure up, in my opinion. If the 2WD puts the filter in a vertical position instead of horizontal, I would do it for sure. To get it at your parts store, just get a filter for a medium duty truck with a 427/454. I'm sorry that I don't know the number off hand

rustyk
03-18-2008, 20:56
The stock number for the standard Wix I use is 1061. NAPA has the same thing, but I think its number is 101061.

JFerg65
03-19-2008, 17:49
THANKS

I really appreciate the help. I'm probably sticking with a good old 15-40 and get a better quality filter. I agree that without a by pass filter system you are just wasting money by dumping in the synthetic.

It's snowing again here so the oil change is off at least for now.

camperon
05-15-2008, 17:16
I was reading in a reply below that (friends don't let friends use Fram filters). I changed the oil in my 98 3500, 6.5 dually, Crew cab yesterday. I had to go back to the parts store 3 times before I found a filter that would screw on all the way. All of them that I tried would not tighten and seal except the Fram. What kind of problems are being encountered with the Fram? Should I change it, or will it be alright for the next couple of thousand miles?

vr1967
05-15-2008, 17:40
The Carquest "Blue" series are made by Wix also. Not sure about the "Red" (cheaper) line. The Blue line even is maked as such on the box.

I have personally had problems with Fram filters (years ago) and refuse to use them, especially after the arguement I had with them. (Ruined a several thousand dollar race engine due to one of their filters) Anyways, thats a whole 'nuther story, but I will say that was the most expensive filter I ever paid for!

JetBoater
05-15-2008, 18:35
I agree with Wix filters.... I have used them many times. The other brand I use is Purolator PURE ONE. Both of these filters use a lower micron filter along with quality construction ;).

HH
05-16-2008, 18:51
Amsoil EaO, WIX, or Donaldson.