PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice on a '95 GMC Suburban

dieselflip
03-20-2008, 08:40
Hi all!

I'm looking at buying 1995 GMC K2500 Suburban 6.5L diesel (don't know whether it's TD) with 172K miles on it. It looks to be in decent condition; interior is ok, looks to be a little rust in the undercarriage, but not too bad. From the looks of it, the guy modded it with an extra fuel tank + switch (maybe for a WVO/BD kit?).

I know nothing about diesels. So, as far as the engine, I didn't know what I was looking at. After much googling, I found that some people complain about the reliability of the mid 90s GM diesel engines. I promise, I've searched on here regarding reliability issues, only found a few things, and, for the most part, didn't know what I was reading. So, long story short, here are my questions:

#1. Are there reliability issues with the '95 6.5L engine?
#2. What things should I be looking for when examining the engine?

I did notice that it took a long time to start up, it sputtered a bit, then ran for about 60s, then died. When I started it again, it turned over a lot quicker and stayed running, but the "Service Engine" light came on. The salesman assured me that it wasn't a big deal, but I was inclined not to believe him.

My plans for the vehicle are to add a WVO mod. I probably won't be towing anything major, so 99.5% of the time, it'll be just to and from work (~50 miles round trip). I'm hoping this thing will last for 2-3 yrs.

Thanks in advance for your input!

-JP

JohnC
03-20-2008, 11:46
RE: the check engine light - If it's no big deal, I'm sure they won't mind fixing it for you. ;)

At least find out what codes it has stored and post them here.

Did the salesman wait for the glow plugs to cycle before starting it? Many salesmen don't know what glow plugs are. A 6.5 in good condition, properly operated, should start in 4-6 compression strokes.

A prpperly maintained 6.4 can be quite reliable. There are a few modifications that are important, a fulel lift pump relay and a relocated FSD for starters. Search this forum for more information on reliability.