PDA

View Full Version : ECM problems 06 Duramax

Paintdude
03-21-2008, 18:53
A good friend of mine has a 06 Duramax with 35,000 miles and he just purchased a Super-chips programmer last week..He loaded the #2 program and went on a trip to move one of his kids..While he is coming back he lost his DIC and speedometer..

He put the tune back to stock and off to the dealer..they have replaced the Engine ECM and now the Transmission ECM..I have not heard from him today as to if he got it back yet..

My question is have you ever heard of a programmer being the reason for such a problem?

or it just a coincidence?

Mark Rinker
03-21-2008, 19:20
Interesting...this may be a coincidence...but read on:

I purchased a 2006 K3500 with about 36K miles, online on Ebay. The former owner had a SuperChips tow tune installed, and offered to sell me the programmer - at full list price. I declined.

He de-installed the program, and I took delivery of the truck. After a few thousand trouble-free miles, it set an SES light. I dropped it at the dealer, and they informed me that there was a problem with the 'turbocharger control system' or something similar to that.

The result of that no-charge warranty repair visit was replacement and reprogramming of the ECM. No physical turbo parts were replaced. I was told the old ECM 'wouldn't accept the factory updates' according to the Service Advisor.

I immediately wondered if something was amiss due to the previously installed SuperChips tune. Maybe a non-factory table or some kind of digital trace left behind that crippled the ECM from taking a new factory update? I even talked with the Service Advisor of what I knew about the previous owner and SuperChips programmer, but he was unconcerned as the truck was already fixed and I was walking out the door with keys in hand, with no bill.

Coincidence? Hmmmm...sounds pretty similar to me!

DieselMonk
03-22-2008, 03:49
So far I don't have a problem at 20k km :) But surely wonder about that.

Mark Rinker
03-22-2008, 06:06
Return it to stock, take it to a dealer, and ask for any of the latest programming upgrades! :rolleyes:

Paintdude
03-22-2008, 08:06
I just talked to him and the dealer still has his truck. One of the ECM units is backordered..They did give him a car to drive..

Mark Rinker
04-03-2008, 05:20
What was the final verdict? Did they throw another ECM at the problem?

lb7lbz
04-03-2008, 16:27
had the ecm replaced in my 06 at 30000 miles. truck tripped a ses light. drove fine, took it to the dealer. they diagnosed it as bad ecm replaced so far so good

Hook_'em_Horns!
04-03-2008, 17:32
Does the ECM differ in unit or location from the LBZ to the LLY, if so could this be the issue with problems versus mods damage/compatibility?