PDA

View Full Version : 3.9 liter dodge dakota conversion

DIESELDODGEDAKOTADREAMER
03-21-2008, 21:48
I have a 1998 dodge dakota with a 3.9l gas engine. I want to convert to a diesel. Is there a quick and relatively easy swap or can i rebuild the engine as a diesel?

murphyslaw
03-23-2008, 22:15
there will be no easy anything about that conversion.

you will need a 4bt cummins, a standalone PCM for the tranny and the guages.

then you will have allot of wires to cut and move and you will have a cront cross over to build and motor mounts to make for the cummins. then you got some fuel system tweeking to do, to make it work with the diesel, get rid of the FI pump in the tank and get a lower pressure lift pump for the IP.

I would love to see a diesel dakota.

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2008, 03:04
And.....
No way (realistically) to rebuild your current engine as a Diesel. It just doesn't work that way. If you had an engineering department and a foundry at your disposal, it could be done....maybe. Murphslaw has good advice. A 4BT would be a better option. Or, you could convert to a 6.2/6.5. The Dakota is capable of handling a V8. Other options include the smaller I-4's and I-6's (Toyota, Isuzu, etc.). Much modification and fabrication, no matter which way you go.

BTW.....
Welcome aboard!

Dakster
03-25-2008, 16:14
I agree... Nothing cheap or easy to do... You may want to search some Dodge forums to see what others have done. I remember reading about a dakota diesel conversion. You may run into someone that has a list of what you will need.

There are a lot of pitfalls to overcome, especially if want a daily driver where everthing (like A/C) works and you don't have overheating problems. Plus, everything that breaks is a custom fix or you have to have a legend of what make, model, and year parts you used.

Prepare to spend a lot of time, more money than you originally think you need, and document everything you do...