PDA

View Full Version : Fellow truck owners, need some input

jmpidgeo
03-23-2008, 09:24
First off, let me state that I am a Junior in college right now, for $$$ considerations.

I got rid of a 1995 Chevy K25000 with a 6.5 this past summer, and am in the market for a new truck now...kinda wish I would have held on to it, but the thing hated live in the harsh MI winter that I go to school in (Upper Peninsula, Houghton)

I drive an average of 15,000 miles a year, most of which is spent unloaded. When I am towing, long or short distances, it is a 20' car hauler loaded with a Jeep Cherokee (I am an avid 4x4 enthusiast), probably somewhere in the 7,000 lb. range between the Jeep and trailer. I MIGHT put on 1,500 miles a year under those conditions. Main trips include to/from home, as well as maybe some wheelin when I am back home for summer, but I can usually snag the old mans 3500 Cummins for those trips.

Now my question to you guys, what would be my best choice, in terms of a new truck? Here are my thoughts:

1) 1992-1998 12V Cummins. This is what I wanted for a real long time, but are quite expensive for a nice one, and diesel prices have skyrocketed so I have figured since I don't tow much at all, this would not be worth it

2) 1999+ 1500 Chevy, with a 5.3. I have multiple friends with these trucks, and I love the engine, and they seem to be fairly economical. With the addition of a big trans cooler, helper bags, and some gauges to monitor, I don't think towing would be too problematic with one of these.

3) 1999+ 2500/3500 Chevy with a 6.0L. My boss has owned these trucks since they were released, brand new every year. He loves them, but he also owns a gas station so MPG isn't a large concern to him. I don't know much about these trucks, other than the MPG claims are not great.

4) I would possibly consider another 6.5TD truck, so long it was a 5 speed. While my truck did alright with the 4L80E, I just like hand shakers better, and the slight MPG boost would be good with diesel priced the way it is.

Ok, my price range for a truck is somewhere in the 8-9k range. I had considered an older Chevy with a 5.7, but they never really impressed me much...so I don't know how they would do pullin my load...maybe its all in my head, I have no idea...but I did own a 1988 Burban with a 350/700R4, and I got a MAX of 14.5 MPG with it one time, and my Dad's old company vehicle, a 1995 Tahoe with a 5.7, never got hooked up to anything heavy.

No matter what I get, it HAS to be at a minimum of an extended cab. I hate regular cabs. It must be 4x4, as I live in an area (school) that receives 320+ inches of snow each year. Auto or manual doesn't matter...I know the manual 6.0L's are out there, just rare as hen's teeth it seems.

Does anyone have any insightful input for me on this subject? Any/all help is much appreciated. Thanks, guys.

DmaxMaverick
03-23-2008, 12:23
Do you really need/require a pickup? If not, and an SUV is an option, check out THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31431).

jmpidgeo
03-23-2008, 14:40
Do you really need/require a pickup? If not, and an SUV is an option, check out THIS THREAD (http://www.thedieselpageforums.com/tdpforum/showthread.php?t=31431).

I don't require a truck, but much prefer one. I usually am hauling car parts in some way, shape, or form and they are usually really dirty.

ThumperTDC
03-24-2008, 16:49
I can say this, i have 99 GMC Sierra 2500 4x4 extended cab short box with the 6.0L. I really like the truck, I am currently setting it up to pull a 4 horse gooseneck trailer. I installed a AFE intake and dual 3 inch magna flow exhaust. Before the exhaust I was getting 13 to 14 mpg, since the exhaust the best I have gotten is 11.3 mpg (with trying to keep my foot off the gas). Not too happy with that, but it sure does sound nice.