PDA

View Full Version : Install exhaust brake or not?

SONNY222
03-24-2008, 10:35
Hello you all, thanks for all the good info on this forum. My question is should I have any concerns about installing a BD exhaust brake on my stock '02 D/A that has 105,000 trouble free miles, othe than front wheel brgs. Both GM and the local dealer says not to install but give no reason why not to other than to say it wasn't designed with one. Is there maybe concerns about backpressure hurting something? I tow a large 5th wheel and would like the added security of an exhaust brake. Thanks for any feedback.

Sonny

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2008, 11:27
Welcome aboard!

The engines are not designed to use an exhaust brake. None of them are, including the heavy duties (Class 8). All engine braking systems are designed by the aftermarket, and incorporated into an OEM engine, either during or after the OEM build.

That said, the LB7 engine is also an option for the GM medium duty trucks. These are factory optioned with an exhaust brake. The engines are the same, otherwise. The dealer(s) are essentially correct saying your truck was not "designed" with one. They won't offer an explanation for you because they don't have one. Ask them to explain why it is OK on a medium duty, and not the same engine in your truck. I don't know of any issues with the use of exhaust brakes (other than the brake systems themselves) on Duramax engines, and a lot of folks have them. If you are worried about warranty issues, either get the dealer on board, or wait until you no longer have a warranty to consider. Unless you have an extended warranty, the only warranty left on your truck is the extended injector warranty. It's for 7 years or 200K miles (which should be expiring soon, depending on the in service date).

chipper
03-24-2008, 14:52
I have about 50,000 miles towing a 13,000 lb 5er in the mountains of Idaho, Montana & B. C.
I have never felt the need to have any additional help over the Allison in the mountains with grades up to 12%.
So I don't understand why you need the exhaust brake.

JohnC
03-24-2008, 15:31
...So I don't understand why you need the exhaust brake.

It sounds really cool....

DmaxMaverick
03-24-2008, 17:42
Some time ago, I stopped asking people why they want to do something. I just answer their question, include a little advice about doing it, then move on. I will throw in a caution, when it's warranted. Adding an exhaust brake will not damage anything, so no caution. People want what they want, regardless of what anyone else wants (or needs).

Yeah. They're cool. One more thing to control. Another switch on the dash. nothing wrong with that.

bigchev
03-25-2008, 12:24
Mine sure does work good..........

Mark Rinker
03-29-2008, 12:48
I absolutely LOVE the exhaust brake on my C4500. It has allowed me to go nearly 80K all towing miles, many times over 28K gross, with the original factory brake pads intact!

Idea: Find a wrecked C4500 and swipe the brake (&ECM?) from that truck and swap into an aftermarket 3.5" exhaust system. The unit mounts well behind the turbo outlet, inline of the exhast, underneath passenger seating area.

madmatt
04-01-2008, 06:19
Actually Cummins does design and install their own engine braking systems,, the C-Brake. Also for what it's worth, when installing exhaust brakes on B series, most brake mfgs advise to install heavier exhaust valve springs. I've never installed one on a Dmax so I can't say if that would be an issue or not.

More Power
04-03-2008, 10:17
Does anyone know whether an exhaust brake affects EGR operation?

Jim

Duramaster
04-05-2008, 19:39
The Medium Duty Trucks do burn through the exhaust manifold gaskets more often than the non exhaust brake trucks do. The early E-Brakes would also hang up/ seize (usually closed) and no amount of lube will free them up. A lot of customers opt to not replace the valve (brake) when they hear about the $700 + price!!!

tpitt
04-06-2008, 09:39
I,ve installed 15 or so on Duramax's, on all but the Lmm. A properly installed BD exhaust brake will not hurt your engine. I have the first one I installed on my 2002, now on my 2004.5. It required a different controller, but still works fine. IMHO BD makes the best brake.

As for you naysayers about you don't need one. You have never driven a vehicle with one and when you do you would never go back. I've installed over 150 of them on all three brands of pickups. Terry