PDA

View Full Version : Transmission Temperature

Jochen Woern
03-24-2008, 22:28
Under normal operating conditions of my Suburban (see signature below for details) and WITHOUT any load (running empty, NOT Towing), what should the average Transmission Temperature be driving around town (not cruising on the freeway) on a 80 degree day?

I was running at 165 degrees this afternoon on my way home from work, does this sound about normal?

THANKS in advance.

new-dieselman
03-24-2008, 23:20
Hello and good evening to you too!

It sounds like your tranny temps are good to me. I have my probe on the hot side of the tranny cooler and run around 150 -170 under normal conditions , no trailer etc. When towing the temps have hit the 220 -230 range while driving up the "Coke" and then the fan-clutch kicks in and quickly brings the temps down. My understanding is that you do not want to go past 230 degrees, the more you stay away from 230 the better.

P.S. I don't have my boost gauge installed yet but i'll let you know what pressures i get once i do.

daustin
03-25-2008, 07:24
That sounds ok to me, mine runs about 180F just driving and about 190F when towing unless i'm going up a BIG mountain then it runs about 215F.
I'd consider the 230F a do not exceed, pull off and cool point.
Don

DA BIG ONE
03-26-2008, 04:26
I had installed a B&M supercooler 'plate style' (LG size) w/SPAL fan it has a built in 160 deg. stat control for fan. I'm in the sub-tropics mostly so the extra cooling IMHO is necessary under all conditions.

While my supercooler is mounted in stock factory location it can be mounted almost anywhere because of fan.