PDA

View Full Version : Gauges with manual transmission?

trbankii
03-26-2008, 03:53
Typical gauges are boost, pyrometer, and trans temp - if you have an automatic.

What suggestions do people have for the third gauge with a manual transmission? Or do the manual trans guys (and gals) just run two gauges?

Just curious...

DA BIG ONE
03-26-2008, 04:12
Maybe, Oil temp is about only other one that comes to mind but my favorite is a pre/post IC combo on the side not in the pillar pod.

Then I've seen t-case and differential temp gages too but only on hard core off road rigs.

93GMCSierra
03-26-2008, 08:11
I would think about a fuel pressure gauge.

trbankii
03-26-2008, 08:24
I would think about a fuel pressure gauge.

Hmmm... That is one I hadn't even considered... I remember the writeup here on using a gauge for diagnostics: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

I have seen the mechanical gauges for diagnostic testing (as used in the article) and had seen a couple people with permanent under-hood installations, but hadn't thought about one with an electronic sender so that it could be mounted in the cab... Stupid question, but is there any difference between a gasoline and diesel gauge? I'm assuming that using it for gas, diesel, or engine oil pressure is pretty much the same animal?

Hubert
03-26-2008, 11:55
I'd say same animal. I am running an electric " Fuel " pressure gauge by Autometer. Good info day in day out to know my Lift pump is still working and or if fuel filter has plugged up or excessively dirty.

I think you have to run a differential pressure gauge set up if you want to really diagnose filter media plug % but 1 gauge tells if its stopped up or severely dirty.

DmaxMaverick
03-26-2008, 12:40
Hmmm... That is one I hadn't even considered... I remember the writeup here on using a gauge for diagnostics: http://www.thedieselpage.com/reviews/jkfuelpressure.htm

I have seen the mechanical gauges for diagnostic testing (as used in the article) and had seen a couple people with permanent under-hood installations, but hadn't thought about one with an electronic sender so that it could be mounted in the cab... Stupid question, but is there any difference between a gasoline and diesel gauge? I'm assuming that using it for gas, diesel, or engine oil pressure is pretty much the same animal?

Same animal of a different color. The fuel pressure on your GM Diesel should be much lower than that of a gasser (with fuel injection). Same principal, but the effective range of the gage should reflect the operating range of the system. You will be best served with a 20 PSI gage, while the gassers are better suited with a 100 PSI gage. The gage should also show suction (vacuum). It's an excellent option for monitoring the fuel pump operation and filter condition. You don't really need a differential pressure setup. Once you have a gage installed between the filter and IP, let the trends determine filter condition. It won't take long before you know where it should be. With any gage, trends are much more important than numbers. Instrumentation is a good thing, but it is easy to get excessive. Unless you like the 747 cockpit look, keep it as simple as you can.

GMC Hauler
03-26-2008, 17:44

I used an electronic version from Westach. The sender broke twice. Gomer's Diesel (the place where i purchased it from) told me it was common. I swapped it out for a mechanical gage from Isspro and an isolator, and have had no problems since. It has diagnosed 2 failed pumps. Funny, but both of those broken pumps were aftermarket. I'm back on the original 150K lift pump.