PDA

View Full Version : heating oil vs diesel

bigde53
03-27-2008, 22:33
What is the difference between diesel and home heating oil?
I read some where that someone was burning home made bio in his truck and in his furnace. I would be willing to try it in the home and what ever was left mabey toss some in the rig now and again.

Yukon6.2
03-30-2008, 12:29
Hi
The bigest difference used to be the amount of taxs placed on the road diesel.Since 06 sometime,the road diesel became sulfer free,where home heating fuel probly still containes sulfer,which will wreck the new regen exhaust systems.
I think that bio can be used in your home furnac,i would try straight vegi oil in my house,but i use it in my shop furnace,i burnt about 450 Can gals in mine this winter,i do have a waste oil furnace but noticed that the vegi burnt cleaner and produced less ash.
To burn it straight in a house furnace i would have the tank inside and mabey run the line around your hot water heater to thin it a bit,i have my hot water tank in my furnace room so it made sence to me.
Let us know if you try it.
Thomas

bigde53
04-01-2008, 22:37
My tank is outside underground 300 gallon with new furnace and heat pump put in this past summer old one was 29 years old so big improvement but still would like to save money any way i can. I dont drive the rig much just to tow my boat or haul wood and such as I burn a wood stove as much as I can to offset heating oil cost. Any little bit helps know what I mean?

trbankii
04-02-2008, 06:34
I've always thought that the grease conversion stuff would work better for home heating fuel than for vehicle fuel - you wouldn't need to worry about all of the systems they use to warm up the grease as your house will already be warm and I'd suspect that the "fuel injection" on a furnace is a lot more forgiving than that for a vehicle...

bigde53
04-02-2008, 22:37
I think it would work in the furnace with out any problems. It is not computerised like the truck just a sensor that tells it whether the fire lite up or not I think at least that is how the old furnace was. The way I look at it if it can spray it, it should be able to burn it.
Any one else tried this?