PDA

View Full Version : Truck shut off

Billman
04-26-2004, 15:30
Coming home from work today, truck completely shut off. Cranked but wouldn't restart. Had all instrument panel lights except glow plug(Truck was at operating temp).

I figured PMD, but came back an hour later, still would crank but no start. I don't remember if the glows came on or not. Glad I was only a block from my parents house. I hate to admit it, but I got towed back to their house by a Volkswagon Passat.

I didn't have time to diagnose, but I'm thinking Ignition switch. Seems to be a common problem. Does anybody have the GM part #? When I get back to my parent's house, I want to have it with me.

Any other ideas? I'm open to all suggestions. I don't mind getting the parts, I would just like to have whatever I need when I get back their.

Thanks, as always...

tom.mcinerney
04-26-2004, 17:38
Haven't had experience, not looking at schematic, but read all my printed posts last Sat. Didja check fuses-ecm1 and ecmB??
Some of PMD failures have been when cold--quite likely the aluminum mount pad shrinking out of contact with the SS screws.

charliepeterson
04-26-2004, 18:45
Don't overlook the fuel supply. I recently had a strange stalling with no restart and it turned out to be a bad lift pump. I could hear it humming away but it wouldn't pump any fuel and acted as a restriction. While I was there I replaced the oil pressure switch to.

a5150nut
04-26-2004, 19:03
Billman,
Have someone cycle the ignition switch and listen or feel the fuel shutoff solinoid. 1in dia. cylinder up front on the injection pump.

Also check the fuel water drain, petcock near thermostat housing. Open with engine running to see if you get fuel out or engine stalls. Fuel out, boost pump good/working. Stalls or no fuel out lift pump or oil presure switch bad.

my $0.02 tongue.gif

Billman
04-27-2004, 01:10
Tom - One thing I did do was to check all fuses. Their all OK. I thought of PMD only because I haven't had any trouble since I bought the truck and figured it was 'My Turn'.

Charlie - I do believe I heard the lift pump running once I tried restarting the truck. That doesn't mean it's good. It is original. 61k. I thought 97's weren't dependant on OPS for lift pump operation?

a5150nut - I will check shut-off solenoid. It's a good possibility. I also promise to check lift pump once truck is running.

I had just come out of a stop sign, made a left turn, shifted into second gear, was climbing ~ 1800rpm and just shut off. The only other check I made before I left the truck was to pull the ignition switch connector at the base of the column and look for bad connection - none found.

Thanks.

Black95TD
04-27-2004, 03:50
Billman

Don't know if this will work with a 97. With my 95 its a great trick. Learned it here. With the shift lever in D, turn key to start. On mine, fuel lift pump runs but engine does not crank. Just used it to refill fuel filter housing after changing filter. Does someone else know if this works on 97s?

ttpost
04-27-2004, 07:40
DID YOU ACTUALLY PULL THE FUSES AND CHECK FOR CONTINUITY,ARE THE GLOW PLUGS WORKING?YOU COULD CRACK OPEN ONE INJECTION LINE AT THE BLOCK AND SEE IF YOU ARE GETTING ANY FUEL,BUT FIRST CHECK VOLUME AND PRESSURE OUT OF THE FUEL BLEED OFF.IF THAT IS GOOD CHECK THE INJECTOR LINE, IF NO FUEL YOU MIGHT WANT TO CHECK THE HARNESS AT THE MAIN SOLENOID ON THE INJECTION PUMP.SEE IF YOU ARE GETTING 12 VOLTS TO THE PINK AND BLACK WIRE AND GROUND TO THE BLUE/WHITE WIRE.IF NO VOLTAGE CHECK THE CONNECTIONS BEHIND THE FUEL FILTER THEN AT THE COMPUTER BEHIND THE GLOVE BOX.ALSO HAVE YOU CHANGED YOUR FUEL FILTER LATELY?JUST WENT THROUGH SIMILIAR PROBLEMS WITH MY TRUCK.GOOD LUCK.

Billman
04-28-2004, 15:11
Here's an update...

Stopped at my parent's house on the way home from work armed with the Tech II, some relays, fuses, & ignition switch. Plus all my tools that are still their.

First thing I did was remember that their is a power distribution box under the hood and took a quick look at the fuses. Everything 'looked' OK. Then I plugged in the Tech II and found no communication with the PCM. I also noticed that with the ignition 'on', their was no 'wait to start' or SES lights. I then went back to the power distribution box and found 'ECM B' 20 amp fuse blown. Replaced it and it fired right up.

What happened on that cicuit to blow a 20 amper?

I left the truck their and returned home. I'm waiting for traffic to die down, then I'll go back with my wife to pick it up.

Hope I make it...

charliepeterson
04-28-2004, 18:29
On my truck the ECM B fuse goes through the oil pressure switch to the lift pump and the PCM.

tom.mcinerney
04-28-2004, 20:22
Fuses are a wear item, they can wear out. {I put 260Kmi on a VW--never blew any fuse, but once it fried all 3 fusible links}. I think their duration depends on designed safety factor.
This might be hint of a bad day for lift pump, or FSD...and they may interact.

Billman
04-29-2004, 02:59
I thought of the 'Wear item' myself. Maybe just a 'Freak' thing. It didn't skip a beat on the way home last night.

I'll check the schematics today at work and see what I come up with.

Thanks...

Billman
05-05-2004, 14:43
According to my schematics, lift pump is fed through 'ECM B' fuse. I ran it all weekend without a problem.

Just finished changing lift pump.

Good call Charlie, my guess too...

CareyWeber
05-05-2004, 17:26
Originally posted by Black95TD:
Billman

Don't know if this will work with a 97. With my 95 its a great trick. Learned it here. With the shift lever in D, turn key to start. On mine, fuel lift pump runs but engine does not crank. Just used it to refill fuel filter housing after changing filter. Does someone else know if this works on 97s? Yes it works that way on my 97.

I however wired a momentary switch on mine and thats much better (cuts down on the mess) there is a red wire off the engine power distro bos\x that is free and is taped up.

Carey