PDA

View Full Version : Can Anyone Tell Me What This Is?

JoeX87000031
03-29-2008, 00:25
I think this is some kind of a security thing or something. I would like to remove it and put my truck back to factory specs if at all possible. If anyone has delt with these before and has any info on its remove and restoration to OEM please post in here. Take care all.

Busted
03-29-2008, 08:13
How does it function/affect your vehicle? The reason I ask is that we had a really strange setup in our 6.5TD passenger van--the driver's door had to be open for ignition to work, it was like an extra park/neutral switch except it was the door open instead. It looked similar to that unit, complete with the little LED. It had a number of wires patched into different sources (just a matter of removing them) and it actually interrupted the yellow 12ga wire that comes from the fuse box to ignition switch. Had to remove the box, then solder the yellow wire back together. It was pretty obvious that it had just been cut, then tied into the box terminals.

Idle_Chatter
03-29-2008, 09:35
Is it some kind of ignition disable "key?" It looks like you can pull out the black tab below the light and take it with you, disabling the truck until you replace the key or have to wire around it, making it less desirable for a thief. Personally, I would just leave it alone, and would welcome the extra bit of security if I needed it.

mr. monte
03-29-2008, 18:36
I agree, my grand am has something similar

Robyn
03-29-2008, 19:22
That exactly what it is.
My 94 Burb had one. Its a starter solenoid disconnect and breaks the circuit to the starter solenoid, stopping the truck from starting.
I spent an hour and a half screwing with mine one morning when it would not go. :mad:

The wires are far too small to pass the current needed to run the solenoid.
Just trace the wires back to the larger ends and then crimp them back together.
If memory serves the large wire is either red or orange.

This little device could leave you stranded with a heavy repair bill for a new starter.

This was designed to stop the hack that simply rips out the ignition lock and tries to start the truck with a screw driver in the slot.

They get the lock out and then nothing happens. They then will hopefully run off and leave the rig where it was.

Great idea but the execution sucked. Number 16 or 20 wires and the one to the starter is at least a 12 possibly a 10

Not hard to get rid of.

Robyn

JoeX87000031
07-25-2008, 22:17
Well I took it out and put it back to factory config, my truck is to old and dirty for someone to steal. They'd have to rob a bank every 600 miles if they stole it anyways at 130 $ to fill her up. You guys were right about the relay wires being much smaller gauge than the factory wire. I would have left it in under one condition because it was working fine. That condition was that in normal operations (aka the truck starts) the relay must be de-energized. Fail-to-fly we say on the flightline. Unfortunately the relay must have power to allow start therefore always draining the battery and inevitably going to get weak and fail leaving us stranded somewhere. Thanks all and take care.