PDA

View Full Version : Drag racing

Spindrift
08-20-2004, 15:19
If you were going to set up my truck for only a few runs down the strip, how would you do it?

Billman
08-20-2004, 16:41
Are the 'Diesel Truckin' Nationals' comin' to E-Town?

sidedump
08-20-2004, 17:44
A JAT:eek: strapped really tight to your roof rack should do the trick. :D

sidedump
08-20-2004, 17:45
JAT :eek:

Spindrift
08-20-2004, 17:45
U.S. Diesel Truckin National comes to town on September 18th. I don't believe I'm in that league...just planning for a possible future event.

What affect does tire size have in my ability to get off the line? I replaced the stock 245s with 265s.

TurboDiverArt
08-20-2004, 19:35
Originally posted by Spindrift:
U.S. Diesel Truckin National comes to town on September 18th. I don't believe I'm in that league...just planning for a possible future event.

What affect does tire size have in my ability to get off the line? I replaced the stock 245s with 265s. My truck sees E-Town all the time but as a tow vehicle... smile.gif I've never been to the diesel races at E-Town but with the performance of the new diesels I'd like to attend at some point because seeing a diesel pickup put down an 11-second run is just awesome. Besides, belching black smoke is cool.

Art.

gmctd
08-20-2004, 23:26
You're missing a charge-air cooler, which you should have for a 15sec run at 15psi Boost, so watch the EGT's.

TDC Offset at -1.5deg, minimum.

Inspect the harmonic balancer and accessory drive pulley.

A fresh oil\filter change for the event, with 8oz STP Red, per Doc Lee.

Lubricity + cetane improver and 2oz 2-cycle motor oil in the fuel tank, per Doc Lee.

Make the runs with half tank of fuel, but not less than 1/4 tank.

Remove any stowage and spare tire from the back.

Keep close watch on EGT's.

CleviteKid
08-21-2004, 05:08
For racing only, I would put a pint of TC-W3 2-stroke oil in 10 gallons of fuel. The extra viscosity and extra lubricity will give you the best performance from the injection pump and the lifters. I would also use three times the recommended treatment of cetane improver, for improved ignition and turning more of the fuel into power, and less into exhaust heat.

And then there is nitrous oxide, if you want to burn even more fuel and make less black smoke . . . . . . . :D

Dr. Lee ;)

Spindrift
08-21-2004, 06:56
I'll have my water injection system up and running in time for the event. Don't laugh, but is there any lurking danger associated with dropping some dry ice into the water tank? And what about tire size?

Billman
08-21-2004, 09:16
SD

It will affect your ability to get off the line. Not necessarily in a bad way though. Your only talking about an inch in height difference. With either tire, you will have to 'Deep-Stage'. Make sure it is allowed. Probably is.

This is done when you bring the car/truck into the beams, light the first stage bulb(Pre-Stage), stop, slowly(READ: Very Slowly) creep forward until you light the second bulb(Stage). Stop again. Now you want to again slowly creep forward until the top(Pre-Stage) bulb goes 'OFF'. STOP. Now you are ready.

When that last yellow comes on LEAVE.

The reason 'Deep Staging' is done is because big, heavy cars/trucks that do not react well and have full suspension take a long time to create forward movement.

Good Luck...

On Edit: What JD said. Less weight is the best horsepower...Free

Billman
08-21-2004, 12:06
Drag Racing...One of my favorite subjects.

Sometimes I go off on a tangent when discussing this topic, maybe I missed your question completely.

There is a 'Science' when it comes to front tire height on a Drag Race Car. Cars that use the 'Pro Tree', mainly Pro Stock And the 'Super' catagories, typically run a small tire. Average diameter would be 24". Cars that leave off the 'Full Tree'(What you will do), will use a bigger diameter. Super Stock and the bracket classes are good examples.

A rule of thumb is that a smaller front tire diameter will give you a quicker reaction time and might hurt overall E.T. A larger front tire diameter will give you a slower R.T., but can increase your MPH. Differences in reaction times can vary as much as .010 seconds per 1 inch in height. Guessing on the MPH, 1 inch could be worth 1/4 to 1/2 MPH.

Maybe I answered it this time...

On Edit: The reason is because a larger diameter tire takes more time to 'Clear' the beams and start the time clock. The E.T. clock doesn't start when the light turns 'Green'. It starts when you 'Clear' the beams. You kind of get a 'Rolling Start' with a larger front diameter.

Spindrift
08-21-2004, 18:23
Billy,

What do you recommend as far as the way I should manage shifting? I was originally thinking I should wind out each gear but got to wondering whether or not I would loose speed on the manual shifts and/or risk damage to the tranny in the process.

Billman
08-22-2004, 03:09
Now you're getting into specifics about Drag Racing your Truck. Let me first say that I have no experience with Racing the Truck. It was only used to get me and the Car to the track. I understand that was your intention the whole time, but I was giving you theory and scenarios. Maybe somebody here who has actually had their truck on the track can answer this better than I.

As far as the transmission shifting, it depends on what you want to do. If your looking for the best overall ET, you might try shifting yourself. Hold it out until it runs out of snot. If your looking to go 'Rounds' and be 'Consistant', you would probably be better off letting it shift by itself. This way, it will do it the SAME way every time. I don't know how familiar you are with Drag Racing, but CONSISTANCY is what you after.

After you make a couple of time 'Shots', you will have to 'Dial-in' your truck. By this I mean writing a number on your windshield with shoe polish close to what your ET was in the time shots. During eliminations, your goal is to 'Cut' a good light and run and close to that dial-in as possible without 'Breaking Out'(Under Dial-in).

markrinker
08-22-2004, 06:12
Never run them at the track, but my trucks (4L80E) are the fastest in drive (3rd) and let them shift on their own through 1st and 2nd.

Cowracer
08-23-2004, 05:16
I ran my truck at Gateway International in St. Louis a couple of years back. I was entirely stock at the time, and ran against a big time juiced Cummins. I cut a good light and had him at the 60' mark, but when I realized that I could hear his turbo spooling up OVER my engine, that I would be in trouble at the big end. He got me by nearly 3 seconds.

Maybe I should have turned the A/C off...

Tim

Spindrift
08-23-2004, 06:11
Originally posted by Cowracer:
Maybe I should have turned the A/C off...

Tim LOL...I'm thinkin' I'll use studded snows for better traction off the line. :D

10 Second Truck (http://www.rocks-hideout.com/dl/TS_10.96.mpg)

[ 08-23-2004, 06:36 AM: Message edited by: Spindrift ]

john8662
08-23-2004, 06:34
Racing a suburban? whoa! I don't think I would want to race my 95 6.5, too heavy. But none the less, would be interesting to see how you do.

DA BIG ONE
10-14-2004, 06:46
Originally posted by CleviteKid:
For racing only, I would put a pint of TC-W3 2-stroke oil in 10 gallons of fuel. The extra viscosity and extra lubricity will give you the best performance from the injection pump and the lifters. I would also use three times the recommended treatment of cetane improver, for improved ignition and turning more of the fuel into power, and less into exhaust heat.

And then there is nitrous oxide, if you want to burn even more fuel and make less black smoke . . . . . . . :D

Dr. Lee ;) Hey there Dr. Lee,
I am using 2 cycle in my fuel, no more stumble of the occasional "micro second" stumble on long trips, is there such a thing as too much, or?

Kennedy
10-14-2004, 09:22
Put a Duramax in it :D

Seriously thogh, my 6.5 was right in there with a properly driven STOCK Duramax, but once the dmax gets about any box, it's game over.

As for getting a 6.5 down the track, a 4x4 launch would be a good idea. Probaly cut some methanol into your water injection. Up to about 30% is what they say. You can use leftovers from someone with an alky car as all you are doing is mixing with water anyhow...

Spindrift
10-15-2004, 16:48
JK,

I know your comment about the DMax was made tongue-in-cheek, but seriously, the time will come when the old girl will be too tired to lug my brood. When that day comes, I'm thinkin' Cummins. Assuming we never see another diesel Burb, there's nothing out there that can replace it. So why not go all the way?