PDA

View Full Version : New engine boost question

d.h.
03-31-2008, 22:10
I,m int the process of install of 18:1 peninsular engine.Outfit doing job recomends removing boost fooler I have installed.They are installing new pcm with I,m guesing new fuel and timin g specs. Not really up on the computer end of things. My question is , they told me boost will now be adjusted by the new pcm(hope thats what it is called)so therefore do not require "boost fooler".
If this is the case does anyone know what kind of boost could I expect with new pcm??.My boost fooler on old one I could easily get 12-15lbs with no problem.They tell me I should notice a big differance.

Thanks

DennisG01
04-01-2008, 05:25
That's correct, you won't need the boost fooler with a new computer program (who's doing the re-programming for your computer?) The boost fooler is only advantageous with stock programming as it, well, fools the computer so it doesn't know how much boost is actually being applied. The best ones out there are Kennedy, Heath and Wester's (some companies may actually use Wester's and then re-badge it). You should get about the same boost numbers you are getting to maybe a few pounds more. The 18:1 will actually lower you horsepower somewhat, but a new computer program will raise it back up again (assuming it's a good, efficient program). My guess is you'll have slightly more power. Does your engine come with new, "hi-pop", performance injectors?
Side note: With the stock GM turbo, you actually don't want the boost to be too high. It becomes very inefficient (although your EGT's will still be lower than before because of the 18:1 - again, assuming a good re-program). There's an EXCELLENT article in the member's section about Turbos - when you have some time, take a gander!

Bnave95
04-01-2008, 06:05
http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/features/turbochargers.htm
With your 18:1 change out your GM 4. With a new Eng. you want a new Turbo.

rustyk
04-01-2008, 09:53
I agree - I got the non-wastegated turbo on my new AMG/Peninsular engine (also got the Phazer gear drive). Big performance difference over the stock (one of the very early) 6.5L TD!

d.h.
04-01-2008, 18:15
Dennis I do have" high pop" injectors.I was going to replace with new but shop tested them and said they were fine. I hope this is case as I don,t want to be climbing around engine for a while.
I not 100% certain but I believe BD diesel in Abotsford is supplying new computer.I ,m hoping to see an improvment in towing my 5th wheel:)

I was under impression I had a gm8 turbo with the 98 (I,m not certain though).The shop was going to check old one for wear and let me know.I will read the article on turbo,s when I locate my member password:rolleyes:
A new turbo may be in the works,but as this is 2nd engine for me this year (other gas pickup) I may wait a month or two.

Good info thanks :D

DennisG01
04-01-2008, 18:38
You're correct, you should have a GM-8 - same as me. Glad to see you already got the hi-pops.

Do some searching here before you get that BD computer. I can't say for sure, but I seem to remember some threads about problems with BD re-flashes. Problems meaning they pretty much just re-program it to dump more fuel in without regard to efficiency and EGT's. Yes, you'll notice a difference in power (because more fuel is called for earlier in the throttle range) but you won't be able to use that power efficiently when towing because the EGT's will spike. I'm hesitant to even say this because I can't remember for sure, but check around. Maybe you'll want to hold off on the re-flash and instead get it from one of the guys I mentioned above. But, as I said, please check around and don't just take my word for it.

Maybe someone else can comment on this (BD computers)?

d.h.
04-01-2008, 19:26
I,d very much like to know about this if there,s a problem with these as sustained lower egt,s is what I,m really looking forward to.for pulling. I,ll check with shop tomarrow and see if in fact that is were they are getting from. In the meantime I,ll do a little searching..

d.h.
04-01-2008, 19:42
As time is a bit of an issue now,if I was call them (bd diesel) what questions could I ask regarding sustained egt,s.?? I suppose they could tell me stuff that I want to hear.I hope this isn,t a new problem.

DennisG01
04-03-2008, 13:23
Well, I did some searching and I couldn't find what I remember reading. It may have been on another site, but I couldn't find it there, either. I hate to put doubt in your mind when I can't find anything to back it up, but I honestly do remember reading that. Besides, being on this forum for a few years now (like you), I don't recall BD coming up all too often when talking about re-flashes. Conversations have always tended to come back to the three I mentioned earlier. I can say from personal experience that the Kennedy ECM I have dropped my EGT's by over 100* while still allowing a faster time and higher top speed during towing tests I've performed (same trailer weight, same hill, same ambient temps, etc). And that was with the stock 21:1 engine.

Read the "Pull-Off VII" in the member's area. It talks about Ron's 18:1 with a Kennedy computer. It's very interesting! I think this is the link: http://www.thedieselpage.com/features/pulloff2006c.htm

d.h.
04-03-2008, 22:31
Dennis,Drove truck home today with new engine.They didn,t do pcm yet as they said 3 week turnaround.I asked if BD did their own programming and the say its from Heath..
I hope this to be true.I phoned BD yesterday and the fellow didn,t seem to know much about them(why I,m not sure).So I,ll break in gently for next few weeks and hope for the best.The turbo upgrade may be something to do in the near future.I just don,t want to throw to much at this engine as I,d like to last a while.

I ordered the new pcm though as mechanic (has a 9 second cummins)said they have been good on other trucks.I went with tow progam as apposed to more aggresive one as I,d like to play it a little safe.I hope it all works out.

DennisG01
04-04-2008, 05:28
Well, that is very good news! When you order it, just make sure to order Heath's newest towing program - check out www.heathdiesel.com for some info on that. Just because I'm curious: Why not order direct from Heath?

Anyways, glad to see this is coming together for you the way you wanted!

Bnave95
04-04-2008, 12:13
I would call Bill, Very nice man to talk to.

d.h.
04-04-2008, 21:59
Thank-you for replies. I talked again with mechanic that did engine yesterday and I again asked were BD got new pcm from and he said they were programed by Heath. It is the tow program that I,m going with.

I suppose I could phone Heath and ask if they supply BD with there pcm,s.I,ll keep a check for leaks,and swap oil after 500k.Also I,ll wait to drag out my fifth wheel as 6.5 sweats a bit with it on.Maybe in a month or so.How long should one wait before pulling heavy??I,m thinking a few thousand k should do the trick.

DennisG01
04-05-2008, 07:56
How long should one wait before pulling heavy?

Well, there's a few different schools of thought. My builder (Ron Schoolcraft) told me to break it in the way I'm going to use it. Meaning, go ahead and pull with it right away. Just be sure to vary the RPM's - don't stay at one RPM too long during the break-in period. He said the problem with towing while in a break-in period is actually related to differential gears - which of course is only in regards to a totally new truck.

However, after saying all that - since Penninsular is the one supplying your warranty, do whatever they say.

Robyn
04-05-2008, 08:26
Back when I was in Tech school the instructors then emphasized the importance of having all the clearances "Right" and then there was not a big issue with break in.

Warm it up good upon the first startup and then once everything was stable and all fluids had been checked and verified the plan was to take the rig out and do a short run to make sure there were no other issues than when that task was completed to do 5 0-60 pedal to the metal runs and as soon as 60 was reached to decel back to 0 and then do it again for the remainder.

After this the schedule included just regular use as was needed.

Once the initial check ride is over and there are no leaks or other items to worry about I am of the mind to take the thing out and run it as you need it to work.

The term "Break in" came about from many many years ago when the machined parts were not of as close a tollerance as we have today. Many engines then had poured babit bearings or bearings were shimmed to get the clearance right.

The science of piston rings was still an unreliable guess at best and overall an engine needed to be run gently until the "High Spots" had worn off and everything was seated in.

Todays engines can very easily handle coming right out of the box and going to work under harsh conditions without worries.

The issue on any rebuild is to be sure there are no leaks and that all the fluids are topped off and things are working properly before you ask the little creature to pull its guts out.

I would not hesitate one second to take a fresh 6.5 and head it off on a cross country jaunt pulling a load just a couple hours after it had its first fire stoked up.

This opinion may not be shared by all but I have done this deed with many engines, Gas and diesel over the years and never had any issues.

If the machine work was done right and the assembly followed in similar fashion the result will be a little work horse that can go right off into the world and do what it was meant to do.

I would recommend that the first load of oil in the pan be dumped at about 500-1000 miles along with the filter and then refilled with a fresh load and a new filter. This can be followed by regular service intervals.

Any new/ rebuilt engine can and will see some junk end up in the oil. This can be the assembly lube (Molly or in some cases lubriplate as I use)

Some crap that was not completely washed out after machining and so on.

The initial run time will ferret this stuff out and into the oil so an early change is not a bad idea.

Other than that its business as usual.

Best

Robyn

d.h.
04-05-2008, 09:57
The truck is running good with no leaks.The first oil change is problably the most important of its life(I think) as like Robyn said it washes all the other crap out.
As far as heavy pulling there to I suppose its ok. I think I just expect somthing bad to happen.. I have to go over the "coke" about 3500ft. to Meritt to pick a horse up.I,ts a good pull I was going to borrow my brothers gas dually to go but maybe I,ll buck up and take mine.Thanks