PDA

View Full Version : OPS going bad?

BamaChief600
04-04-2008, 15:37
Well I had a hard time starting the ole 6.5 today. It seemed to have alot of white smoke. I did notice that I didnt hear the Lift pump like normal. I get home and jump the lift pump and it works. So after a few hrs I go out and I start the truck with no problems, I also heard the LP so I was wondering if the OPS is going out? Also what would cause it to fail? I just replaced it sometime last year.

Bnave95
04-04-2008, 16:10
Just a ideal,under the hood in the fuse box pull the relay and clean the terms up and do the whole fuse box while your there. Use the dielectric grease on all relays and fuses.

mrwilecoyote
04-05-2008, 21:22
They burn out. The OPS is not heavy enough to carry the current draw of the LP. Kennedy sells a kit to improve the circut. I have mine hardwired to the key but when funds allow I'm going to get the Kennedy. Not good to bypass the the OPS. It's a safety device. Unfortunatly a poorly designed one.

BillCarry
04-15-2008, 10:25
I chased an intermittent lift pump problem for several weeks. Changed the pump and the OPS in the process, both with initial success, I thought. Finally got the pump to run when I wiggled the OPS to harness connector. Replaced the connector and the problem went away.