PDA

View Full Version : Chip question?

new-dieselman
04-05-2008, 11:36
My question is.... can i run a hotter chip and let the gauges decide when to back off?

I'm trying to decide on which chip vendor to buy from. Also how "hot" a chip to get. All vendors seem to charge the same price for the "R.V." or moderate chip as they do for the "hot" or race chip. It makes me want to buy the Hot one so i get the most bang for my buck. That way i could possibly get more power on cold days or lighter loads and on hot days or heavier loads i would just be more careful. Sounds good to me anyway. All thoughts appreciated as usual thanks.

mrwilecoyote
04-05-2008, 21:26
I have Heaths in my 95. I love it.

new-dieselman
04-05-2008, 21:56
Which heath chip do you have? The latest HP4?

DennisG01
04-06-2008, 11:48
The way I understand it is the "hot" chips are meant more for racing - meaning only VERY short time spent with your foot in the throttle. I believe it would make the truck frustrating to drive as the engine would heat up too fast under towing conditions and you would have to back way off on the throttle. But, it's a good question - your best bet would be to talk directly to John Kennedy or Bill Heath. The chips are calibrated the way they are for a reason... ;)

mrwilecoyote
04-06-2008, 12:25
Which heath chip do you have? The latest HP4?

Version 2. I got mine before v4 was out. they were willing to upgrade for a lower price than outright but I am happy with it the way it is.