PDA

View Full Version : Power Window Motor Replaced Separately?

joed
04-07-2008, 08:07
My newly acquired 2000 K3500 crew cab has a flaky driver's side power window - it won't work (go down) if the truck has been sitting outside in the sun. Once it cools, or first thing in the morning, it seems to work fine.

I've tested the switch - it lights a test lamp in both directions so I don't think it's the switch - plus all other windows work fine.

Can the motor be replaced separately from the regulator? It is better to replace as one unit?

How does one replace it? - The whole assembly seems to be riveted to the inner door panel.

My alldata info. is very limited on this - doesn't tell how to replace the motor.

Thanks in advance.

Joe.

Robyn
04-13-2008, 17:59
The regulator and the motor should come off as a unit.

I have not had one out of the later trucks but plenty of the older ones.

Once the unit is out the rivets have to be drilled out and then the fresh motor can be bolted in place with the speical bolts and locknuts provided.

Usually the window must be about half way down to facilitate easy removal.
An extra pair of hands is usually handy too.

Best

Robyn

joed
04-14-2008, 06:48
Thanks.

Another dumb ? How do you get the regulator/motor assembly off? It appears to be riveted to the inner door panel. Do you have to disconnect it from the window? There doesn't seem to be any room to get behind the panel to undo things. Is the goal to remove the panel with the regulator/motor assembly still attached?

Also you mention the window should be halfway - what if it's stuck in the up position - motor won't go down?

Sorry for all the ?s, but as you can tell I've never worked on a PW setup before.

Joe.

Robyn
04-14-2008, 07:03
The assembly has to come out the large opening at the bottom of the doors inner panel.

It may well be necessary to drill out the rivets to get the regulator loose.
The regulator has arms that are fitted with rollers that run in a track on the bottom of the window.

The arms work in an X pattern to raise and lower the window. The goal is to jockey things around so the rollers can slide out of a small notch in the track.

Once the rollers are free of the track, the assemble can be worked out the opening in the inner panel.

Best

Robyn

Subzilla
04-15-2008, 06:03
And if it's like my S15 Jimmy window motor/regulator, watch out for that loaded spring! When I did mine, if my memory serves me, the instructions had me drill a hole into the assembly and install a bolt to keep the "x" and spring in place. That was about 3 years ago so it's a little fuzzy. I've never messed with our big rigs window stuff so it may be different.