PDA

View Full Version : Diesel Corvette

Robyn
04-07-2008, 08:50
Just reading some Vette Blogs and there is a lot of Buzz about Chevrolet introducing a diesel in the 2009 model.

Hmmmm supposed to be an Isuzu hatchling of 5.7 liters.

Can't verify this but it sure sounds good.

Twin turbos to add Pizazz and some ooooomph

Any info and addtions is welcome

Best

Robyn

Stlheadake
04-07-2008, 10:11
I did a quick Google search, and this popped up. I hope it displays correctly...

http://cars.about.com/b/2007/04/01/corvette-to-get-diesel-power-for-2009.htm

Aaron's Cars Blog

Corvette to get diesel power for 2009

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/0/t/j/gm_06corvetteconv.jpgChevrolet has announced that they will introduce a diesel-powered Corvette next spring as a 2009 model. The 2009 Chevrolet Corvette TDI will be powered by a specially-designed 5.7 liter V8 diesel with twin turbochargers. Output for the engine, developed in cooperation with Isuzu, is estimated at 350 horsepower and 675 lb-ft of torque.
"We feel that with its high fuel economy and strong low-end torque characteristics, the turbodiesel is the perfect engine for the Corvette," says a General Motors spokesperson. Early tests indicate that the Corvette TDI accelerates from 0 to 60 in just over 4 seconds and achieves real-world fuel economy of 25 to 30 MPG.
Chevrolet has hinted that if the Corvette TDI is a hit with buyers, they may consider phasing out gasoline-powered Corvettes altogether and making the turbodiesel engine the exclusive powerplant for the iconic American sports car. -- Aaron Gold

Mark Rinker
04-07-2008, 11:27
I can hear the aftermarket licking their chops already...

Lingenfelter would be smiling!!!

Dmax son
04-09-2008, 02:27
I thought that was an april fool's joke from a couple of years ago. Look at the date of the article.

Bryan

Idle_Chatter
04-09-2008, 19:14
The new "mini-DMax" engine IS targeted to fit into the engine compartments of LS-1 gas motors and projected to go into cars, but I'm sure that Corvette article was proven to be a spoof.

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-10-2008, 09:03
Nuts, I hope that they aren't serious. The Corvette's have always been gassers, they are legendary for the engine they have housed up front. From the 327 F.I. to the monster 454, to the 550HP427 Z06. Don't go trying to add to it in this way. Just concentrate on bringing out the Blue Devil,:D, and then go from there. BTW, if anyone hasn't seen the Blue Devil yet, 620+ Horse and close to 600 ft lbs of torque. I tried to find a pic that I could easily upload. Just search for the 2009 Corvette ZR1

DmaxMaverick
04-10-2008, 10:19
As much as I love Diesel engines, a gasser belongs in the 'Vette. Diesel conversions are cool, and I'd like to do one someday. This "article" is an April Fools hoax, although a good one.

The 327 didn't come around 'til 1962. '55 saw a 265 V8 under the hood, for the first time. Most of the prototypes and the first releases (1953) were equipped with an I6 (fed by a 6-pack, with a Paxton blower optioned in '54, nicknamed the "Blue Flame" powerplant), taken right out of the GM trucks, which actually performed better than the early V8's. The Corvette has seen nearly all (if not all) of GM's V8 CID options over the years. The closest it ever came to Diesel is the early Mercedes-like direct fuel injection system in '57, and produced a whopping 290 HP (the first time the CID/HP went over-center).

6.5 Detroit Diesel
04-11-2008, 09:25
Ya, the Blue Flame was good engine, a little gutless at first, but it wasn't quite the muscle machine then that it is now.
The FI I am talking about though, was the MFI on the 327 in the 60's that put out around 365 HP.

Mark Rinker
04-12-2008, 08:12
Yeah and Benjimin Franklin introduced the concept of Daylight Savings Time - originally as a joke.

I think a twin turbo diesel Vette would sell. Not to replace the gasser, but to appeal to the loyal truck market.

I'd buy one (if I had the money) :o