PDA

View Full Version : Stanadyne PMD have NO warranty if not installed by stanadyne shop

97-6.5TD-F
04-07-2008, 22:39
Found this out the hard way when one I bought from DSG went bad 6 weeks after installing it. Only then did I find out about that they wont warranty it unless they ( the stanadyne certified guys) installed it. So here I am with a nice, new looking 3 or 4 hundred dollar hunk of crap that is now a really expensive paperweight :mad:. Oh well, I bought one of those Dtech drivers, the thing is huge!! I hope it lasts for a while :rolleyes:!

Artworks
04-08-2008, 05:05
That SUCKS!!!! I been looking at oil coolers, cooling upgrades ect. but if that is how they stand behind products they sell, I probably look at Kennedy or Heath . I would like to support Canadian, even if it was a little more $, but with less $ elsewhere and service like that, WHY would you? I suppose that would be same for a stealer bought PMD also.

arveetek
04-08-2008, 07:35
Just FYI, Kennedy offers no warranty on the Stanadyne PMD at all. I'm not sure if you can actually find a warranty anywhere on a Stanadyne PMD, since it's supposed to be part of the injection pump as a whole. That's why most dealers replace the whole pump, even if it's just a faulty PMD.

One exception to the rule that I know of is Heath's PMD kit. It uses a Stanadyne PMD and he has a several year warranty on it. I believe he just offers the warranty himself, not from Stanadyne.

I still went with Kennedy's cooler kit, for other reasons.

Casey

Bnave95
04-08-2008, 08:11
Found this out the hard way when one I bought from DSG went bad 6 weeks after installing it. Only then did I find out about that they wont warranty it unless they ( the stanadyne certified guys) installed it. So here I am with a nice, new looking 3 or 4 hundred dollar hunk of crap that is now a really expensive paperweight :mad:. Oh well, I bought one of those Dtech drivers, the thing is huge!! I hope it lasts for a while :rolleyes:!
Now a days that 3-4 hundred is much needed, other than a paper weight.

Heath uses the Dtech driver on his unit. Now I will see from you and other how the New Dtech holds up. I'm still running the SOL-D I installed in 04. A little rewiring for power,now with 28K. One FSD went 38K on a cooler still mounted on intake. My DS4 is running with/near 115K. I think the gear drive has paid for itself. A good working driver makes life some what better for pumps also. On top of this I bumped my ratio up of Power Service.
Still have a new PMD on the pump.
Cross finger with the pump.

What has any one persen seen for mileage with the DS4 before replacement?

ronniejoe
04-08-2008, 10:36
My second DS4 went 200,000 with only one PMD replacement.

Bnave95
04-08-2008, 11:14
Good news. I started a topic on this. I'm not wanting to invest in a pump any time soon.
2nd trany rebuild @ $1910. Almost made it to 100k.
So 200K sounds like I got some time. Truck does not tow like it had at one time.
I'm sure most of us use some type of additive.

Kennedy
04-10-2008, 18:26
We've seen excellent results with the FSD cooler (and new Kennedy Cooler) when remotely mounted. Yes some still fail, especially when mounted to the intake manifold. I could but a long warranty on them and gamble that it will last that long or until the owner sold the truck, but I choose not to.

If you follow the recent "test certification" of a certain aftermarket PMD you will see that in the tests none of the devices failed. Read further and you will find that none of the Stanadyne PMD's failed either so could you really draw ANY conclusion (aside from the fact that the test was not rigorous enough) from the results knowing how prone the Stanadyne unit is to failure? I do plan to list the aftermarket unit as an option, but am still hesitant to actively endorse it.

Intercool your 6.5 and you will be surprised how much better PMD life is along with many other underhood components. RJ's experience shows this well...