PDA

View Full Version : Question for Howie E

Fredeberle
08-21-2004, 07:01
Howie E,
Have looked at your wiring diagram for the OPS but what sort of relay to use and where can I obtain one ?
I know nothing of engines or electrical stuff
( plus lots of other stuff I don't know. :confused: )
Thanks to this site I am learning. smile.gif
Fred

HowieE
08-21-2004, 07:30
That is a general purpose auto relay that almost any auto supply should have or possibly Radio Shack. Just ask for a 30 amp general purpose relay, they are about 1 cubic in in size. Should cost about 6 or 7 dollars. If you can't find one locally I get mine from Bully Dog, they advertize here on the Page. The advantage of Bully Dog is you will get a socket and pigtail wires with the relay to make it a bit easier to install.
The important thing to remember when cutting the Gray wire to the OPS is to cut it between the harness and the OPS to be sure you cut it beyond a splice in the harness, note the wire coming from the fuse through the fuel pump relay to the splice point just below the cutting point on my diagram.
The cut gray wire coming up from the OPS goes to terminal #85 on the relay, black wire on the socket if you ordered from BDog, #86 goes to a ground point on the truck firewall, white wire on soocket. This complete the path for thr coil in the relay. The other side of the cut wire goes to terminal #30 on the relay, blue wire on socket. Locate the Orange wire leading to the OPS. Take a wire from terminal #87, the yellow wire from the socket, and splice it into the orange wire, skin some insulation off and solder in the yellow wire and wrap with electrical tape because this wire is hot at all times.
Now when the OPS makes after 4lbs of pressure has been made in the engine the relay will close and supply voltage to the fuel pump through the relay contacts #30 and #87 rather than through the contacts in the OPS. This reduces the current in the OPS contacts to the current needed to hold the relay in, less than a 1/4 amp. The full current of the fuel pump is across the relay contacts which are rated for 30 amps.
Note, the numbers I use will most likely appear on any realy you buy as they are a standard for this type relay. You will not have any wire on terminal #87a, the red wire in the socket.

Fredeberle
08-21-2004, 08:22
Thank you Howie E,
It sounds very confusing and hard to work on but I will look into it.
Hopefully, find someone who knows how to do electrical stuff. Never soldered anything in my life !
Fred

HowieE
08-21-2004, 09:42
My direction may seam like a Marth Steward recipe but they are straight forward and you can do it. You don't need to solder the wires you can use crimp connectors on all the butt connection and you can cut the Orange wire and use a crimp connector there also.

JohnC
08-23-2004, 09:08
Originally posted by Fredeberle:
Never soldered anything in my life !
A good crimp connector is as good as if not better than a soldered joint, anyhow. All you need is a decent crimping tool. ($3.98 cheapo is not the one!)

CleviteKid
08-24-2004, 13:03
When it really matters, I like to use the un-insulated crimp connectors, then solder the crimped connection, then cover it with two layers of heat-shrink tubing.

But then, I use a belt, suspenders AND superglue to keep my pants up ;) .

Dr. Lee :cool: