PDA

View Full Version : new exhaust

polejockey65
04-11-2008, 17:58
hello to all,
i have been trying to install a new exhaust from SSDiesel. they will not help on the phone thats wrong but anyway i called heartthrobexhaust where i think the exhaust came from.
Mike has been help full so far. i have sent some pics to him and will talk to him tomorrow. but my question is has anyone had a problem with the down pipe??? i had to remove the cross member on the tranny losen the cab bushing bolts to lift the cab and i pulled the inner wheel well off for acess. but the down pipe will not make up to the turbo.
any sugestions?? is this normal??? Need some help
Thanks
Brian

winemaker
04-11-2008, 18:22
My friend, that sounds like a horror show! I just installed a Heath exhaust a week or 2 ago and I did none of that. By way of comparison to the competition, I simply slipped my downtube up from the bottom and left it "in the hole" while I climbed out from under the truck and got top-side. From there, an easy steer to the turbo: 4 minutes, tops.
I hope it gets better for you quick....
Brett
By the way, why not post those pics so people can get a better idea of what you're up against

DmaxMaverick
04-11-2008, 18:32
I agree. Should have been a no-brainer. No kit I've heard of required the removal of crossmembers, and certainly no body bushings. You either have the wrong kit (or downpipe), or the kit is defective. One wrong bend fouls the whole mess.

Yes. Pictures speak thousands of words. Please do post (let me know if you need help with posting pics).

CedarGrove
04-11-2008, 18:59
I put this one on my 98. I remember getting to this point and thinking that I was going to have drop some stuff, but my mechanic friend muscled it in. Can't tell you exactly how we did it but it was fairly painless. A little tweaking and a little forcing and it went through the hole. Turn it and torque it. It'll go. I gave up on it, but my friend kept after it and had it up there in short order. Twist, turn, push.

We did have that passenger wheel well out too, but we were changing the heads at the same time.

Lewis

hello to all,
i have been trying to install a new exhaust from SSDiesel. they will not help on the phone thats wrong but anyway i called heartthrobexhaust where i think the exhaust came from.
Mike has been help full so far. i have sent some pics to him and will talk to him tomorrow. but my question is has anyone had a problem with the down pipe??? i had to remove the cross member on the tranny losen the cab bushing bolts to lift the cab and i pulled the inner wheel well off for acess. but the down pipe will not make up to the turbo.
any sugestions?? is this normal??? Need some help
Thanks
Brian

jggiedeman
04-11-2008, 20:11
I bought one of the SS Diesel's 4" exhaust. I have a different turbo setup which sort of moved the exhaust flange around a bit. After all said and done the exhaust shop I took it to had to bang the cab/firewall mating flange out of the way, remove the 4" adapter, bend the pipe to a greater angle, and weld the adapter back on. Not exactly what I was looking for in a "just bolt right on" system.

I did have the truck off the ground about a foot and just tried to mate the downpipe in. When I saw weird angles I just drove it to the muffler shop. Should have bought a quality system instead.

Jerry

WRB Diesel
04-12-2008, 07:36
THe system I just installed was the SS diesel as well, while I did not have any trouble with the downpipe,(with inner fender out it took 5 minutes tops, no modifications to DP or firewall were needed) I did have to shorten two of the pieces, an overall of 4" to properly fit over the rear axle. Should not require removing the crossmember and especially any body mounts. Keep up on the phone calls and let them know you are unhappy, squeaky wheel gets the oil.

polejockey65
04-12-2008, 09:25
Hello to all,
Mike at hearttrobexhaust is going to send me a new down pipe. it is hitting on the frame and at the "a" just left of the ball joint and the flange will not make up to the correct angle. sorry i am not a mechanic just a weakend parts changer . i will post some pictures when i can figure out how
Brian

DennisG01
04-12-2008, 09:40
sorry i am not a mechanic just a weakend parts changer
no worries - most of us are not mechanics, either. Well, at least I am not! :)

I'll give you credit, though, for your commitment! I would have returned that exhaust by now. There's no way an exhaust kit should be that hard - exhaust kits are typically one of the easiest things to do. Mine was pretty easy. Good luck, I hope the downpipe solves your problem.

polejockey65
04-12-2008, 09:55
Hello to all,
thanks Dennis
I put some pitures in the photo album.
Please look and post comments
Looking for some help. if other pictures are wanted I can take them to

rhsub
04-14-2008, 01:11
Let us know how you make out because exhaust is the next thing I am planning on doing and SS diesel is my closiest supplier. If you are talking to heartrobexhaust see if we can buy direct or post his phone #or email so I can call him direct.
If anyone has used an SS modified fan clutch i would like to here your opinion, its cheaper than Kennedy's but I hate putting on poor quality parts
Thanks
Ron

winemaker
04-15-2008, 23:10
rhsub:
I'm sorry if this sounds bad, but here it goes:
You're in Ontario. Whatever you buy will be shipped, so it really doesn't matter a whole bunch that SSD is closest to you. After seeing testimonials for both Kennedy's system and Heath's system, and after hearing that SSDiesels systems come with issues, why wouldn't you just go for a system with flawless reviews? Isn't that why we become members here?
I see that SSD's is in the $350 range while the others are in the high $400's, so is it strictly economical? And if so, what's your time worth?
I dont' mean to put you on the spot or otherwise be an ass, but as a 6-day-a-week worker, I was very satisfied to pay the high $400's and have it done in hours on my one day off.....just something to consider. Good luck with your mods.
Brett

DmaxMaverick
04-15-2008, 23:30
I agree with Winemaker. You can save some money, but at what cost? I've installed many aftermarket exhaust systems, and you do get what you pay for, to a point. Banks makes a very good system, but they are probably the most costly. Fitment is good, and quality is tops. The best I've found is Kennedy's systems. Good quality (as advertised), excellent fitment, and the best hardware in the business. There's a lot to be said about stainless steel band clamps, vs. the old style "muffler clamps". No comparison. One angle to consider is the cost of hardware. The base exhaust systems, comparing what you mentioned and Kennedy's are very close. Kennedy's system lists for more, but includes the SS clamps. If you were to purchase a cheaper system, and upgrade to the SS clamps, you'd be in the same ballpark. So, the only thing left is fitment. Banks and Kennedy can't be beat in that department. Take your chance and save a few bucks, or just get it right the first time. Rest assured, you won't have to bypass your supplier to contact the "manufacturer" for support, if you have the need.

Bnave95
04-16-2008, 03:11
And before John K. grew into a 6.5 and than into Duramax supplier I had went with the Bank's Stinger kit.
The Exhaust was stright forward,eazy install. Now 10 yrs. later, In some area's it's showing some rust.
Than with alittle sanding and some coating of paint, I wonder.
I don't see where I will ever have a need to replace the exhaust system.
Most time, money well spent up front may be the last time you'll be spending in that area.

ercaduceus
04-16-2008, 09:07
I too am looking to upgrade to a performance exhaust system. I was looking to buy from ssdiesel due to the fact that they are the only suppliers of a stainless system. Now I'm starting to wonder. My truck sees alot of salt. However with above complaints is it worth it to go stainless vs aluminized?

polejockey65
04-16-2008, 18:02
I didn't know that ssdiesel was bad and i just bought what i thought was the better system from the infothat i had. could not get a hold of ssdiesel by phone they did not answer my e-mail so i called hearthroexhaust and mike has been helping me.I thought it was a no brainer i guess i just didn't do the research. brains are lost hope i find them.
When the new down pipe gets here i'll compare the two right now the one i have just won't fitt unless i use my three pound hammer then i'm back to the factory mods. I'll be happy when my mother-in-law gets her PT cruiser back and i get oll red back.

polejockey65
04-16-2008, 18:03
Thanks everyone and i'll ask for more help next time

polejockey65
04-17-2008, 16:43
Hello
I got an e-mail from Walt at SSDiesel
He said that My Motor Mounts are sagging and need replaced.
is there a way to check this or should i just replace them since the truck has so many miles on her
If I need to replace them where should i get them GM maybe?? [I'm asking this time]
Thanks
Brian

DmaxMaverick
04-17-2008, 17:06
The mounts probably should be replaced. But, at worst, they won't throw the system that far out of alignment (we'd hear a LOT more of your issue if that were the case). You are already in touch with the mfg, so there's really no point involving him with your fitment issue. It's good he got back to you, finally.

polejockey65
04-17-2008, 17:16
Dmax
should i return it SSDiesel or replace the mounts. i think i am a good parts changer not a mech though I do have my daughter car though But I want My truck back..
What kind of job is it. can i do it in my Grarge??
brian

DmaxMaverick
04-17-2008, 18:46
The mounts aren't too bad. Time and patience. You'll need a floor jack (or suitable method of lifting/supporting the engine), and basic tools. It helps to have extra hands. It really helps to degunk the area first (steam clean or trip to the car wash, the DAY BEFORE).

You are this far into the exhaust. It will probably be OK once you get past the hurdles. If you replace the mounts and it still doesn't fit right, I'd return it. But that's me. I have little tolerance for products that don't work as advertised. Even if it's cheap, the seller set the price and promised a product you can use.

polejockey65
04-18-2008, 04:09
Dmax
I wanted the 4" why i don't know.I thought it was a good one though. There are cheeper one's out there but i wanted one that was as much as i can "Americian made" I guess I'm
going to learn something new this weekend, so much for the painting .
any tips on the replacement from you or anyone would be much help
Thanks
Brian

DennisG01
04-18-2008, 05:23
I replaced my mounts, but the engine was out when I did it, so I can't be a tremendous amount of help. But, each one has 3 bolts/nuts. I attacked them from underneath with a socket and extension while my wife stood above me and held the topside from turning with a wrench. I used a universal joint on the socket, as well, to get into the tight areas. I taped the universal joint with masking tape to keep it in the right "bent" position while putting it onto the nut.

I bought a set from NAPA. IIRC, about $35 or $40.

bl78ljb
04-27-2008, 09:26
Just curious if you ever got the new downpipe and if that fixed the problem. I had the Heartthrob SS exhaust (from SS diesel) put on my truck this winter, though I had my mechanic do it for me as I couldn't get the truck in the garage with all the snow on the ground. When I talked to him about it he felt the system went in quite well compared to some aftermarket exhausts he has installed in the past, the only modifications were removing some pipe and relocating a couple of hangers (which are advertised if you put it on a Sub as it is made for a p/u). I chose this system because it is stainless and as I live in Maine we go though non stainless parts in a hurry with all the salt on the roads. If JK had had a SS system I would have purchased from him.

GMC Hauler
04-27-2008, 12:21
I wanted the 4" why i don't know.

I purchased a 4" exhaust from pinnacle exhaust. Cheapest price at the time and the quality is tops. 1 hour from start to finish. Had it on there for 4 years now.

polejockey65
04-27-2008, 15:51
hello to all
well Friday i got my new motor mounts via UPS
Walt at SSDiesel said i needed to replace them in order to fit his exhaust.
I wanted to buy them local but they were made in Chine at the parts houses around here.
but when the local dearship wanted $62 for each i bought them on line from a discount GM dealship in PA for $42 EACH but i had to wait for them. still cheaper to buy them for the factory parts. i changed one on Saturday 6 1/2 hrs later i got one replaced. then Sunday it only took about an hr and a half to do the second one. note i found the ground from the engine to frame on but from the frame to the body off totaly off and the bolt that goes through the rubber bushing was cross threaded on the motor mount from the factory i guess. now i have to buy a new bolt and nut. and my new exhaust still doesn't fit but i have new motor mounts.
I will call call Walt at SSDiesel tomorrow. i don't want to play anymore with SSDioesl I guess i'll Kennedy Diesel for my new exhaust. Does anyone know what ones are made in the USA and of US metals {exhaust systems]
Thanks
Brian

Jochen Woern
04-27-2008, 22:42
I as well purchased a 4" from pinnacle and mounted it in a little over an hour. A lot cheaper and in my opinion just as good as the ones from SS or Kennedy. I love mine (especially the price) and I for sure do not need stainless steel in CA.

REMF
04-28-2008, 09:05
I just installed a Diamondeye performance 4" in my 98 K3500 in about 2hrs. Went right in. The biggest pain was truly getting the old 1 out. What’s nice about Dimondeye is they use the stock hanger mounts. I believe they manufacture everything in OR but not sure you could give them a call.

atom_c
04-28-2008, 20:46
I bought a Jardine exhaust. I took all the old off myself and was able to put in the down pipe and first section of pipe. I needed to cut off about 6-8" of pipe off one off the back sections. I then ran into trouble with hangers not lining up. I ended up taking it into a good local muffler shop. Less than an hour and about $70 later I was good to go. The guy at the shop had to redo a bunch of the hangers. He said he sees it all the time with the cheaper aftermarket exhausts.

Bottome line, if I had to do it again I would go with Kennedy's exhaust assuming it would have been a better fit. I ended up paying back the money I saved with extra headache involved.

Adam

polejockey65
04-29-2008, 14:18
well i guess i'm just gonna have to take it to a recommened muffler shop.
The muffler shop said just put the wheels back on it tow it in here goes the money i saved

polejockey65
05-02-2008, 17:42
Well I got her back today.
Ok less count up the final bill $60 for motor mounts but i won't include them because they were worn but nit real bad.
$375 for the SSDiesel kit
$75 for the tow to the shop
$200 the rebend the down pipe make the flare at the turbo work and the cut and reweld at the 4" adapter. make all the brakets fit. now fitted at all i will add
$650 thats it. I tried to buy what i thought was a good product.
I will ask you guys and gals next time.

winemaker
05-03-2008, 12:35
All's well that ends well....How do you like the final product? If you're happy with the end result, the rest is what I call "Idiot Tax". By no means a personal jab, we ALL pay a little idiot tax along the way;)
Enjoy!
Brett

polejockey65
06-02-2008, 04:49
i just wanted you all to know that the idiot tax has been paid. now it seems to have a lot more noise than my straight pipes, fuel mileage went down 2 miles to the gallon. i have only filled three times since the new pipes were installed. 1st tank was for fun ie heavy foot, plus it had some biodiesel in it.
2nd i was pulling a trailer for a week or so. I have always got 16.9 to 17.3 always half city half highway driving.
also on my last post i did not mention that the neck that goes to the flange had to be shortened about 3/4 of an inch.
Very loud though i guess the neighbors will get used to it.
Overall i do like it and i have hopes the the mileage go back up.
Thanks for eveyone's input
Brian

Turbo Al
06-02-2008, 13:50
O K I went through the same senario as you just did (on my 1993) quite some time ago AND I GOTTA tell some of you guys this was a "straight bolt in use the original hangers install" BLA BLA BLA --- I am a mechanic --- have been for O about 20 years at the point I bought the "KIT" I have never been so pissed at a kit in my entire LIFE the only thing that fit as advertised was the FN down pipe. Unfortunately to install the kit I HAD to cut the old system off -- my first mistake. I ended up (after several phone calls and many hours of frustration) driving the truck to there shop with just the down pipe on and having them install it. I watched with utter amazement as they cut all the exhaust hangers off (original GM ones) cut all the new exhaust hangers off the new exhaust then they installed new hangers in different locations and put the exhaust in ALL THE WHILE yukin it up over the "straight bolt in application" Then they CHARGED ME for it. I was so mad I paid the bill and swore I WOULD NEVER BUY ANOTHER THING from them as long as I lived and it is now 10 years later and MANY thousands of dollars (spent else where) later.

TO CLARIFY

This IS a well known company
This was NOT a cheap kit by any means
This was not a weekend mechanic
This was not my first exhaust kit install
Plain and simple kit was NOT as advertised

The term "idiot tax" really rubs me the wrong way BUT I am guessing that I know who the real idiots are since they screwed themselfs out of thousands of dollars which I have spent else where.

Al

polejockey65
06-03-2008, 04:23
"The term "idiot tax" really rubs me the wrong way BUT I am guessing that I know who the real idiots are since they screwed themselfs out of thousands of dollars which I have spent else where"
I felt the same way, i thought what i was buy ing was a good system and now i know it was not. "idiot tax" was paid because i didn't ask the group for there thoughts. enough said Yes i have talked very highly about the system to all me friends. they took a picture of it when it was being towed and put it on the board at work for all to see.
I guess it will also be a real long time trying to forget this.
Enough on this, thanks everyone
Brian

Robyn
06-03-2008, 06:41
Beware of "KEY WORDS" such as "direct bolt in" "Universal fit"

"easy installation" "No welding required" "All parts needed included in the kit"

"Exact replacement for factory equipment"

Hmmmmm been there done that myself. Any more I guess this is why I have a shop full of tools and a nasty attitude :eek:

My kid buys a goosneck hitch for his GMC pickup and the hitch came off a Dodge pickup. (great buy off Craigs list)

A lathe, mill, torch and welder later it fits perfect just like the instructions said it would. :D

We are sort of the exception rather than the rule.

Toss the instructions in the trash and just make it fit.

I can sympathise with anyone who has bought a "KIT" anything and had expectations of the said item just coming from the box and bolting right on.

Heck I have had factory parts that would not fit without some tweeking.

Probably one of those mid year changes or ???????/ :confused:

Best to all

Kit exhaust is probably one of the worst offenders at having issues.

I have personally installed a Banks kit on a 6.5 truck and it came from the box and went on as the instructions claimed it would.
There was I believe one pipe that was a "Cut to suit" piece and it was,and I did.

Best

Robyn

Stratosurfer
06-05-2008, 18:45
Seeing as the posts on this thread have disparaged this vendor and the admins have allowed this within the modicum of decorum rules I will step up on my soapbox on this vendor.

Don't use Vendor! On any product. His knowledge of the 6.5 is exceedingly limited.

Short and sweet, search the archives for my previous posts on this vendor that were gutted by the admins due to my bad mood at the time of posting.

I as well am eyeballing an exhaust system and was lured back to this vendor due to having the only SS system. Thanks polejockey for posting, I vowed to never use this vendor again for his lack of common sense in the PMD failure issue and you have reinforced my previous decision.

Always willing to praise good service, always willing to ensure someone else doesn't get taken after I have been. Sorry for your problems polejockey, they seem to be common from this vendor. Thanks for posting.

Robyn
06-05-2008, 19:40
I will make a very to the point statement here.
There are a lot of folks out there that dont have much of a clue about a lot of things.

I will buy most anything if I figure that I can make it fit/work and the price is reasonable.

The kit things as I spoke of earlier are in so many cases a JOKE.

If you require a factory fit and finish with absolute bolt in out of the box then the factory parts are the ticket.
If you have the tools to tweek, twist, bend and make stuff work then almost any vendors goodies will do the trick.

Its sad that there is so much stuff marketed that is indeed not what it is claimed to be but I dont see any end to it soon.

The PMD stuff can be a bag of Hocus Pocus for sure.

A good finned cooler out in the air and a fresh Dtech or Stanadyne PMD and its about as good as its gonna get.

Its a real shame that the electronics that run the DS4 are not as good as the mechanical part of the pump.

In speaking with the local rebuilder, he informed me that few DS4's actually fail mechanically but instead sucumb to the electronics taking a hike.

The one major exception is the units that see copious quantities of dirt and or water introduced into the system. :eek:

Again if you can make it work and the price is right its probably not a bad deal. :)

Best

Robyn

Zac6.5
06-23-2008, 12:58
I've got to say I have put on some "bolt on" parts before but the 4" straight exhaust system I got from http://pics.ebaystatic.com/aw/pics/s.gifwarpspeedperformance (http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/warpspeedperformance/) on ebay was good. I put on the 3" down pipe and took it to my local mufler shop. He had to cut 6 inches off one pipe and welded the rest ($60). It would have gone on with the clamps but I wanted it welded. Kit was about $260, but my 6.5TD 1998 4-door longbed 1 ton roars now and after changing the rear from a 4.10 to 3.73 I get 19mpg. It really rattles the store windows comming through town. I know I got lucky on the first try because I have heard some sob stories. Hope this helps.

hamold1
07-06-2008, 04:42
Just recieved my boys power pack from ss diesel....I was on top and my 15 year old son was under the truck, the down pipe took a couple of stabs and turns but went on in about 5 minutes the rest of the exhaust went on without any problems...was impressed with the hangers. Easy install on a regular cab long bed 4x4..I looked at all the systems on ebay too but heard good things on this forum about ssdiesel supply

1993 k2500 stock
1993 k2500 117k, ssdiesel powerpack #3 turbo whines now, new delphi stock injectors, 4.10

polejockey65
07-23-2008, 22:18
where , i would like to read the"good things"