PDA

View Full Version : oil and water

Showgood1
04-11-2008, 22:49
My suburban (gaser) started to make oil of its own. Leaking intake gaskets again. But what was weird is what I found once I opened her up. The oil was never milky. But there were huge clumps of goo covering the underside of the manifold and in the lifter valley. It looked like someone through up in there. Could this have anything to do with the synthetic oil I am running? Its mobile one 5/40. I have opened up engines before that had this problem and I have never seen globs like this before.

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2008, 07:07
It's not the oil, but the Dex-Cool. That's what happens when it is mixed with oil.

If this is not your first time with this issue, don't expect it to be your last. You can replace the OEM manifold with another OEM, which seems to help, but they still have the issue on occasion. Or, there's another option. Edelbrock has a smog legal replacement manifold that doesn't have this problem. An added bonus may be a little more power. They're not too costly, and since you are in there anyway..... This is a VorTec engine, correct?

Showgood1
04-13-2008, 14:17
Yes it is a vortec but I don't think that anyone makes a after market manifold for it. So its the new coolant, weird. Chevrolet does make a newer style gasket for them and thats what I bought. This it number 2 so far.

DmaxMaverick
04-13-2008, 14:28
I just checked at www.summitracing.com, and Edelbrock, among other brands, have several manifolds for every year and option I could think of. Check 'em out.