PDA

View Full Version : Low Fuel Warning - How Many Gallons Left

VPayne
04-12-2008, 14:54
Our Low Fuel light comes on after we have used about 19 gallons according to the DIC. Does this sound right? The gauge shows "Empty". It has done this twice (we have owned it for about 6 weeks) and when I go fill it, sure enough it is within about 1/2 gallon (what I end up replacing vs. what the display says). It just makes me nervous to see that warning as I think I better get to a station RIGHT AWAY when in fact I think I have about 7 gallons left in the tank. Does this sound normal? We have a diesel and it holds 26 gallons (supposedly, but I guess I will never "really know"). I don't want to run it down to empty, but it seems that having more than 1/4 tank should not trigger the LOW FUEL warning.

Vickie

DmaxMaverick
04-12-2008, 16:01
Not normal. The low fuel warning should come on at 10-15%. Not 25%.

The BCM reads the tank level in %, as indicated by the tank sender, and triggers the low fuel warning accordingly. If it thinks you are running out of fuel, when you are not, the tank sender is suspect. It's a warranty item.

JohnC
04-13-2008, 11:20
Agreed. Mine comes on after around 22.5-23 gallons are used. Only one way to find out if your's is lying....

Any chance you could be not filling it full? I've not had a problem with mine, but on the older trucks you could usually get 2-3 more gallons in after the first time the pump kicks off.

On a side note, it irks me that they stop powering the gauge when the low warning comes on. I liked being able to saw the wheel back and forth and see if the gauge would give a little blip, indicating there was at least some fuel left...

DSLPOWR
04-21-2008, 14:59
Our Low Fuel light comes on after we have used about 19 gallons according to the DIC. Does this sound right? The gauge shows "Empty". It has done this twice (we have owned it for about 6 weeks) and when I go fill it, sure enough it is within about 1/2 gallon (what I end up replacing vs. what the display says). It just makes me nervous to see that warning as I think I better get to a station RIGHT AWAY when in fact I think I have about 7 gallons left in the tank. Does this sound normal? We have a diesel and it holds 26 gallons (supposedly, but I guess I will never "really know"). I don't want to run it down to empty, but it seems that having more than 1/4 tank should not trigger the LOW FUEL warning.

Vickie

Don't worry about it, my 08' does the same, just about 19 gallons and the light is on....very different compared to my last few dmax's. I believe they would light at or around 3 or 4 gallons left, not 7! Sounds strange but I suppose do to the extra fuel use during regeneration they are thinking we should'nt get caught low!

SoTxPollock
04-30-2008, 10:32
When my low fuel light comes on you have 40 miles to go before you run out, assuming 20 miles to the gallon. Every time it comes on I put 24 or very close to it in, so be glad you have that extra cushion to find a station, you really got to watch the fuel level when you drive out in some parts of Texas, may not be a station for a 100 miles.

richp
04-30-2008, 15:13
Hi,

I've experienced any number of times when I've pulled into a station just after the low fuel light had come on.

For the first 4-5 years of its life, my 2001 K-2500 very predictably had 4 gallons left when the light came on. In the last year or so, it's started coming on at about 6 remaining gallons. .

FWIW.

Rich Phillips
Member #27

Kennedy
05-01-2008, 06:26
It would be good practice NOT to run down to or past this mark. Not critical, but best for te fuel system to leave some volume in the tank and hopefully keep fuel temps down.

jharden1
05-06-2008, 14:34
'07 LMM. Mine comes on 50 miles remaining in tank.

Turbo Al
05-22-2008, 13:32
I know most of you wouldn't do this BUT on both of my trucks -- the 1993 and the 2001 when I first got them I ran them completely out of fuel then put in 5 gallons and restarted them according to the owners manual. NOTE: make sure you read the manual before you do this and have everything you need and familiar with the location of the bleed locations before you run it dry. Also make sure your fuel pump on the 6.5 is in good operating order.
Though work I have restarted 3 Duramax's and one 6.5 after they have run them dry, saving these people a very expensive tow to either home or the nearest dealer. Only one of the Dmax's was extreamely hard to restart (3 x's bleed it) but all got on there way in less than 15 mins.
My 2001 goes about 50 to 60 miles after the light comes on.

Al

SlimWallet
11-19-2008, 07:07
FYI....

My 2008 D/A LB, CC has a 38 gallon tank if I recall corrrectly. I filled yesterday right after the low fuel warning light came on and it took 30 gallons of diesel. Still must have had 8 gallons in the tank.

Kinda wish it would come on with 4 gallons left not 8.

Slim...

btw.....first tank: 16.4 mpg....second tank.....17.7 mpg...third tank...17.8 mpg....

Mixed town, mountain and highway driving.