PDA

View Full Version : 96 6.5 TD won't start

vetteboy
04-16-2008, 20:01
I have not found this quirk on the forum. Truck ran and started all the time. My starter had a loose connection at the solenoid to armature and it quit cranking. I unhooked and cleaned batteries and removed and fixed starter. Put it all back together it cranked right up several times. Got in the next morning and it cranks but no start. Couple days later temp was near 38 degrees and it fired right up. Has not run since. I tried today (75 outside) and it cranks but no start.

AKMark
04-16-2008, 22:04
For a diesel to start you need the following.

Fuel, & glow plugs.

Does the glow plug light cycle? I have helped diagnose two older Burbs that weren't cycling the plugs. If you crank enough, sometimes you can get them started without plugs, but not usually likely. One, had a loose wire on the relay so the plugs would cycle occasionally, but never when he seemed to need it. Also verify you actually need to check that power is actually going to the plugs.

Mine took three seconds of cranking to start recently, pulled the glow plugs and they didn't look too bad, but when I replaced them with a new set I had around, I barely hit the starter and she roars to life.

vetteboy
04-17-2008, 04:55
The WTS comes on and cycles about the same time as always. I'll get the meter out and start poking around.

vetteboy
04-17-2008, 15:53
Glow plugs draw current for 10seconds then cycle off. Loosened line at lift pump and it has fuel there. Can unplug the lift pump conne3ctor and hear the relay click. Should the lift pump be making a noise or vibration? This one is not doing a thing.

vetteboy
04-17-2008, 16:22
I opened the filter top several turns and jumpered 85 and 30 with no results nor does the pump run. I cranked it over and still no fuel. My guess is lift pump. Looks original anyway. Time to go.

AKMark
04-17-2008, 18:54
Yep, definately sounds like the lift pump. At least it's easier and cheaper than a injection pump.

vetteboy
04-19-2008, 07:46
Thanks from a newbie. I searched and found how to diag the lift pump. All that did work jumpering at the relay and checking fuel at the filter. When I lossened the fittings only a trickle came out the back and none in the front. Just enough to trick me into thinking I had fuel at the pump in the beginning. The pump was not working so I needed it anyway. My big surprise was the fuel tank was empty. I now have to find out why it is empty at 1/4 tank on the gauge. It's always something!

AKMark
04-19-2008, 08:32
I don't pay much attention to my gas guage and pay more attention to my trip guage.

My 97's guage works pretty good, but I've had a few that would go empty anytime after 1/2 tank, and a couple that the 30 gallon tank would only take 20 when you emptied below the E mark.

The cost usually isn't worth it to fix.

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2008, 08:51
I don't pay much attention to my gas guage and pay more attention to my trip guage.

My 97's guage works pretty good, but I've had a few that would go empty anytime after 1/2 tank, and a couple that the 30 gallon tank would only take 20 when you emptied below the E mark.

The cost usually isn't worth it to fix.

Really? www.fix-a-gauge.com. Doesn't work every time, but enough to justify the attempt.

vetteboy
04-20-2008, 07:09
I looked at their website and they say they only work up to 93.