PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a new mechanic?

JetBoater
04-19-2008, 08:14
I am having a new 6.5 installed at my local shop. I provided the shop with a brand new DB2-4911 injection pump... which came in a sealed bag within a shipping carton.

I stopped by yesterday to see how the install was going, and noticed a machined plunger with a spring attached to it.. in bag from the injection pump.

I "freeked-out" a little. I told the mechanic this should have been installed on the front of the pump before he installed it. Am I right? Can it be installed through the oil tube filler hole... through the gear? Is it a press fit? Do you loctite to hold it in?

See picture:
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l240/jetboater/Diesels/4911InjectionPump009.jpg

I am a competent home mechanic... and always do my homework... it is distressing to have to look over my mechanic's shoulders. Can anyone advise?
Mike

JetBoater
04-19-2008, 08:20
This is what I see on the web... and the part in question is shown at the front of the pump.

arveetek
04-19-2008, 09:50
That part floats in the hole on the front of the IP. It can fall out if you're not careful when installing the IP. The spring goes in behind the pin, so that the spring is pushing the pin out towards the front of the IP.

I'm not sure you can install it through the oil fill hole. The hole is above the center of the pump, and is only large enough to access the gear to IP bolts. You might have to remove the water pump and front cover to gain enough access.

Do be honest, I've never been sure what that doohickey was for....

Casey

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2008, 10:08
The pin/spring is a thrust load for the internal pump shaft seal and keeps the gear loaded against lash. It contacts the timing cover and keeps light rearward pressure against the shaft. It has to be installed before the pump is inserted, or before the timing cover is installed. You can't do it through the oil filler hole. The pump has to come out, or the timing cover off. If you do it, or your mechanic does it, I suggest you pack the pin/shaft hole with wheel bearing grease before inserting the pin. It will keep it in place during installation. Don't compress the spring any more than 'ever so slightly'.

JetBoater
04-19-2008, 11:26
Thanks... Workin off my blackberry so typing with oily fingers.
I appreciate you confirming how this goes together.
The water pump is coming off.
Quick reply is kindly appreciated!!
Mike

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2008, 12:23
Thanks... Workin off my blackberry so typing with oily fingers.
I appreciate you confirming how this goes together.
The water pump is coming off.
Quick reply is kindly appreciated!!
Mike
That's what I'd do!

And, while you're in there (if you haven't already), use some blue Loc-Tite on those pump gear bolts. Good time to check torque on everything else while you're going through there.

With me, I have to leave as little to chance as possible. I'd rather be lucky than good, but when you have my luck, you have to be good.

JetBoater
04-19-2008, 21:01
Thanks to DmaxMaverick and arveetek. All is well in the world.

The thrust pin and spring were installed today, the way it should have been the first time.

I do appreciate the good advise!

My mechanic had used red threadlocker on the gear bolts... my instructions to him were to threadlock the heck out of every bolt. All bolts over 1/4" diameter are secured with permanent threadlocker... all others are secured with medium strength Blue.

The diesel page forum works great! The quick replies I received today were of great valuable to me.
Mike;)

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2008, 21:22
Glad to hear you got it in.

Another thing, probably won't be an issue, but.....
We have different types of thread locker for very specific reasons. Red is not necessarily stronger than blue. Red cures hard, while blue cures somewhat pliable. Blue handles vibration/harmonic situations better, and is why it is used in rotating assemblies, like gear sets, etc. Blue will absorb shock, while red, if stressed, will break. Red is also less effective with heat cycles, becoming more and more brittle over time. Many/most folks don't use any at all, and don't have issues, so you are probably OK.

arveetek
04-20-2008, 15:06
Loctite is good. Especially on the bolt that holds the timing gears onto the camshaft. It's possible for it to become loose and then shear the key off, causing the gears to stop turning. When those gears stop turning, the injection pump stops turning, and then your engine stops running.

Don't ask me how I know! ;)

Casey