PDA

View Full Version : FLUID CHANGE

ttpost
04-27-2004, 08:08
I HAVE A QUESTION ABOUT THE OIL AND TRANNY FLUID CHANGE ON MY TRUCK, IT OCCURED TO ME WHEN I DRAIN THEM THAT THERE IS STILL FLUID IN THE COOLERS,I DONT BELIEVE THIS DRAINS WHEN PULLING THE PLUGS, I WAS THINKING ABOUT UNDOING THE COOLER LINES AND BLOWING THEM OUT, IS THIS PRACTICAL AND NECESSARY, I WOULD JUST LIKE TO GET ALL THE OLD FLUID OUT, ANY THOUGHTS WOULD BE APPRECIATED.ALSO WHAT TYPE OF FLUID SHOULD A GUY USE IN THE TRANSFER CASE.

Keith Richards
04-27-2004, 17:18
About once a year I change my oil and then put about four quarts in,turn the engine on for about10 -20 seconds,turn off and drain again.Same for tranny.I think it cleans it out very well.

4x4 power
04-27-2004, 17:37
I would definetly flush the torque convertor and cooler lines. This is how I do it.
Flush the trans with about 12-15 quarts of new trans fluid, disconnect the return lines coming from the trans cooler and route it to a five gallon bucket. Start the engine (it works best with two people) The fluid is going to run out of the line very fast. Run all 12 qts though the trans and it should look clean. Let the trans pump out all the fluid in there and then you are set to remove the pan and you dont have to worry about making a huge mess when the pan falls because there isnt any fluid in there. Becareful not to run the engine to long when there isnt any fluid in the trans or pump damage can result. Then change the filter and add all new fluid.
I would not use air pressure to blow out any cooler lines, high psi can damage the oil coolers. They do make a cooler flush but I recommend the flushing with oil method. Just my two cents.