PDA

View Full Version : Whistle while you drive!

BrentN
04-19-2008, 15:27
My 2002 chevy Duramax that I recently purchased has 156,000 miles on it. It seems to have a loud mono-tone whistle while I drive down the road. It only whistles when I hold the throttle steady, but never if I decelerate or accelerate. I also can't make it do it in the driveway when it is not under load. I thought that it might be coming from the inter cooler, so I tightened all the clamps on the drivers side, that seemed to take the noise away. The next day I drove it for about 50 miles and the noise came back, but not quite as severe. It will only do it when I'm traveling 35-65 plus miles per hour.
Do the blue flex hoses wear out and need replacing?
Do the clamps need replacing ever so often?
Am I looking in the right place?
Is there another possible solution?

DmaxMaverick
04-19-2008, 15:43
Are you sure it isn't just the normal turbo whine? They all do it. Some louder than others.

Duramaster
04-19-2008, 16:04
How about checking the exhaust manifold gaskets for leaks. They occasionaly burn out and cause a whistle noise under certain load conditions.

Mark Rinker
04-21-2008, 07:01
Maybe someone welded these in while you were sleeping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk

Duramaster
04-21-2008, 07:52
HA HA HA HA HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :p :D :p :D That would suck! It's bad enough that I live near the Burlington Northern RR track! I think those whistle tips would be ten times worse!!! :D

DmaxMaverick
04-21-2008, 08:22
Maybe someone welded these in while you were sleeping!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nnzw_i4YmKk

That was just too funny! Especially the part the driver takes off, uses both lanes, then blows a stop sign. People like that shouldn't be allowed to drive, let alone modifying vehicles. The news reporter said it is legal, but I can think of 3 or 4 things that make it less than lawful.

BrentN
04-23-2008, 06:48
Thanks for the responces guys that's funny. I'm sure it isn't turbo whine because it is intermittent at times.Is there a better way to check the exhuast manifold gaskets besides just trying to feel around them for air leaks.