PDA

View Full Version : Changing timing chain, how about gears?

fastboat
04-20-2008, 09:33
In looking through the board, I've seen some posts that talk about changing the timing chain with no reference to the gears. I bought a chain only, and the dealer never questioned me on the gears, as he did on other decisions I was making. Then I noticed in the Haynes manual a statement that said "NEVER change a chain without changing gears at the same time." The engine has 151k, and everything about it is in great shape. I have it on a stand, down to the block and rotating assembly only. I probably didn't really HAVE TO change the chain, but being in this far kind of made it a no-brainer. I tossed the idea of the Phaser around, but the $$ didn't seem to make sense for me- I'm not going for big power. I'm ready to reassemble, and now I find this in the Haynes book and it has me tripped up. I don't want to make a dumb mistake, so I'm looking for some input. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks,
Dave

DmaxMaverick
04-20-2008, 10:12
The sprockets should always be replaced with the chain. While chain stretch is the major wear with a roller chain, the sprockets wear with the chain. Not replacing the sprockets with a new chain will result in accelerated chain wear, and possibly premature failure. Higher mileage exaggerates the need. I normally equate the usefulness of Haynes manuals to the rolled stationary usually found in water closets, it is correct in regards to chain/sprockets.

fastboat
04-20-2008, 10:25
Thanks very much!