PDA

View Full Version : 96 6.5 td ran after new LP won't start again

vetteboy
04-21-2008, 16:40
I replaced the lift pump and primed. Ran like a top. Started many times. Last night was haed to start but did after 20seconds cranking. Drove 40 miles home and parked. Check fuel again all okay glow plugs draw current then voltage climbs when light goes out but it will not start. What's next?

Robyn
04-22-2008, 07:18
Make sure you are getting fuel to the IP (Top hose on IP)
Make sure you are not getting air in the system.

Why was the lift pump replaced? is the filter in good order?

If you are getting fuel to the IP then check the shutoff solenoid to be sure its working.

Have a helper turn the key on and off and the solenoid should click ( Round little device on the front of the IP at the top, about 3 inches tall)

If this is ok then you may have had a PMD failure.

Be sure the glow plugs are actually working. (Check for power at the plugs and be sure the plugs are good)
If the plugs are not getting hot the engine will be almost impossible to start. (Will show blueish white smoke at the tail pipe too and smell of unburned fuel with any amount of cranking)

If no glow heat the glowplug controler may have died.

You can also unhook the number one high pressure fuel line from the injector and see if fuel squirts out.

No fuel means a delivery issue, either mechanical or electrical in nature.

Give it a look and let us know

Robyn

vetteboy
04-22-2008, 10:54
I get fuel out of the filter vent using a jumper at relay so my two day old pump works. I left it open and cranked it and no fuel came out. I'm guessing it is the relay or ops. Am I on track?

vetteboy
04-22-2008, 10:58
Forgot to mention in the previous post that the lift pump was not working even on the bench which caused my first no fuel at the filter problem. Could the ops have crapped out now that the lp is drawing current so it wont pump when WTS or cranking?