PDA

View Full Version : Hydrogen Booster -> Fuel Savers-> O2 Sensor

Stratosurfer
04-24-2008, 07:04
All,
I have followed numerous 'pre-combustion' catalytic devices over the years and found all greatly lacking in effective increases in fuel economy. I have however been bombarded by various sources close to me concerning 'Hydrogen Boosters' (type into Google or Ebay) and have found some interesting data. Apparently in our modern era of EFI and O2 sensors, all of the pre-catalyst devices were destined for failure as the O2 sensor needs 600C to report 'Ops Normal' to the ECU. A cooler temp instructs to the ECU that more fuel is need to get into the maximum efficiency zone. A hotter temp and a lean is required. Apparently all these fuel saver devices have increased the burn in the chamber to the point that a cooler exhaust was produced forcing the O2 Sensor to crank in more fuel; thereby negating any efficiency gains.
A few folks have produced some 'breadbox' (read home-made) devices that will fool the O2 into believing it is hotter than it really is, thus the pre-combustion devices may now actually work.
HAVING SAID ALL THAT: Has anyone installed any of the Hydrogen Booster devices (HHO Gas generators?). I am about ready to begin the journey into installing one along with magnets in conjunction with an O2 sensor fooling device.
Any Feedback, anybody gone there??
THX

JohnC
04-24-2008, 08:48
... A cooler temp instructs to the ECU that more fuel is need to get into the maximum efficiency zone. A hotter temp and a lean is required. ...THX

Bunk!

O2 sensors need to reach a certain temperature to work, but the output is not proportional to temperature. Once it reaches the necessary temp, the output is proportional to (get this!) the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.

So, all the rest of the "science" is suspect, too...

JTodd
04-24-2008, 09:11
Do a web search before spending money. Independent tests with magnets have shown no measurable increase in mileage and hydrogen generators are a net loss in energy. It take a lot of energy to split water into hydrogen. That energy comes from your alternator.

The law of conservation of energy, and the lack of perpetual motion mean that you are burning more fuel (diesel or H2) to create H2.

Now, if you were to carry the H2, instead of generating it onboard, then you have transfered the power requirements elsewhere. Energy is still required, but that energy does not come from your alternator.

I was asked to look into H2 generators and pre-ignition catalysts and the one thing I can be certain of is that they know a hell of a lot about internet marketing. There are literally many dozens of web sites that look like independent reports on these things, but under scrutiny they are all written by the same person. The sites are also owned by the same group. I found no sites that independently confirmed the findings reported by the inventor. Actually, any independent findings were that they did nothing, zip, nada.

Spend your money on producing your own bio diesel.

Stratosurfer
04-24-2008, 15:04
Bunk!

O2 sensors need to reach a certain temperature to work, but the output is not proportional to temperature. Once it reaches the necessary temp, the output is proportional to (get this!) the amount of oxygen in the exhaust.

So, all the rest of the "science" is suspect, too...
I believe this is the issue. If a pre-catalyst device such as magnets, or if the HHO gas placed in the chamber effects a more complete (efficient) burn, the the temp to the O2 sensor will drop. As you said, the sensor -equates- temp change to O2 changes and inefficiency. The ECU equates a cold O2 sensor at startup as an engine needing more fuel and vice versa for a hot O2 sensor on startup.
What you say is correct, once the sensor reaches the operating temp the output is proportional to the amount of oxygen in the exhaust stream. However this only confirms what some of these folks are saying. HHO gas in particular it is claimed produces a -cooler- exhaust stream and therefore the OEM O2 Sensor adds more fuel, negating the efficiency gain.
Again I ask, has anyone done this and increased fuel efficiency?

jehry
04-25-2008, 08:03
Here is a link to gassavers.org where someone built their own HHO generator. I don't know much about this stuff but when I read your post I remembered seeing this. Check it out and see for your self if it looks possible.

http://www.gassavers.org/showthread.php?t=6895

Stratosurfer
04-25-2008, 09:25
Good data, thanks for posting.

HANK1948
05-11-2008, 08:40
Me and my buddy put a hydrogen booster on his 97 Cavalier and is getting 47 to 50 MPG!(from 32mpg) and havent got it dailed in yet, still working on improving, I think we can get 60 MPG!

Mark Rinker
06-01-2008, 11:04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EFFjNS0i2A&feature=related

I am waiting for the first amatuer built 'hydrogen car' to fill the passenger compartment with Brown's Gas while the owner is away, and then blow up when the door is opened, or something creates a spark. Maybe it will be these guys...

Check out this generator. Should be enough to level a whole house if used improperly...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJBQUM52dhw&NR=1

JeepSJ
06-01-2008, 17:33
Me and my buddy put a hydrogen booster on his 97 Cavalier and is getting 47 to 50 MPG!(from 32mpg) and havent got it dailed in yet, still working on improving, I think we can get 60 MPG!

Gotta raise the flag on this one.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/images/smilies/bsflag.gif

You are claiming a 50% increase in mileage. If this technology really works, maybe you can explain something to me...

All major auto makers are under huge pressure to up their mileage numbers. If this works so well, how come none of them haven't jumped and made these devices standard equipment? It isn't like this is new technology - it has been around for decades.

Let me ask this - would your "friend" be willing to allow one of us to tag along on a test drive and prove the mileage claims?

Dakster
06-02-2008, 13:41
I would be interested in learning the results of the real world "test" drive too. I keep remembering the old addage, if it sounds to good to be true, it usually is...

Idle_Chatter
06-02-2008, 17:37
Gotta raise the flag on this one.
http://www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums/images/smilies/bsflag.gif

You are claiming a 50% increase in mileage. If this technology really works, maybe you can explain something to me...

All major auto makers are under huge pressure to up their mileage numbers. If this works so well, how come none of them haven't jumped and made these devices standard equipment? It isn't like this is new technology - it has been around for decades.

Let me ask this - would your "friend" be willing to allow one of us to tag along on a test drive and prove the mileage claims?

This post showed up simultaneously in several threads in multiple forums worded exactly the same and is obviously someone shilling a hydrogen kit. It has been pretty much universally ignored in every post as it made an unreasonable claim right out of the box.