PDA

View Full Version : Question about JK's intercooler

Polar Diesel
04-27-2004, 12:04
Going by the picture on kennedy's web site, i can't get a very good veiw on how far it hangs down and the angle that it sits. i'k worried about driving though corn fields and ripping it up. Anybody have any ideas?

Turbine Doc
04-27-2004, 14:28
Polar,
What truck do you have my K1500 4x4 has 15" clearance at lowest point of the IC, see my install photos here;

http://myweb.cableone.net/tbogemirep/

I have L265/75-16s on 16" MT aluminum rims if you are on taller tires or have a 2500 or 3500 series truck you will be a little taller for more clearance. As you can see in photos toward the end it's pretty well constructed.

If you still fear catching a corn stob I'd make a readily removeable armor plate to protect it while off road, the IC doesn't gain you much while running slow off road need abot 10 mph of air for the IC to start dropping temps.

But slow off road you aren't generating much heat anyway like in hard pull open road towing which is where the benefit comes in of lowered IAT

Polar Diesel
04-27-2004, 16:42
i have a 93 3/4 ton on cooper s/t 285 7.5 R16. tortion bars up some so there is alot of room. Do you have to cut the skid plate? and do you have to pay all that money and still chop it up amd add parts, or is that because it's a half ton?

marktara
04-27-2004, 19:09
On the 1500 4x4 do you have to take off the plastic spoiler and leave it off?The one under the front bumper

Turbine Doc
04-28-2004, 05:02
I don't know of what skid plate you speak, my K1500 had a plastic cover where the IC mounts, I don't know if a real skid plate mounts there on other trucks mine had a piece of plastic that looks like a skid plate, that had to be removed to have the IC installed. from what I've been told its a direct fit for 2500HD & 3500, problem for the 1/2T was the frame box tube is 2" lower than HD 6" vs 8" or 8"vs 10" not sure of actual dimension,

That extra bit of room allows plumbing to run under crank pulley, I had to route behind the pulley under front part of oil pan, could have maybe made the fit if I took to the frame with a grinder to make some room, but since I occasionally heavy tow 12,000# loaded trailer did not want to degrade my LD frame any, I'm already pushing the envelope as is.

Air dam on bottom of bumper is also removed, thought about cutting out center of it to maybe improve air feed to IC, but decided too much work plus it fit my 90 gasser that had a damaged air dam.

[ 04-28-2004, 05:12 AM: Message edited by: tbogemirep ]

Kennedy
04-28-2004, 06:24
I added the plastic air dam like the 1/2 tons have. I then cut windows in it for air flow:

http://www.kennedydiesel.com/images/SDIntrcoolinstld1.jpg

The crossmember is stillby far the lowest point on the vehicle excluding the rubber air flap. I'd have to put a level on to check, but I don't believe the cooler is even lower than the air dam.

Kennedy
04-28-2004, 06:40
Originally posted by marktara:
On the 1500 4x4 do you have to take off the plastic spoiler and leave it off?The one under the front bumper I'll add that it is a LOT of work to install on a 1500. Tim would be a good resource for insight, and may or may not try to talk you out of it depending on abilities. Trust his judgement...