PDA

View Full Version : Replacement rear axle seal issue

chrisinkanata
04-26-2008, 08:53
2002 GMC 2500HD D/M crew cab. In servicing the rear brakes, notice that the rr axle/hub seal is just starting to leak. Remove the hub, get the old (original) seal out and off I go to the dealer. Original P/N 26061024 replaced by 15823962. Install it in the hub, re-install the hub and notice the hub needs to go about 3/16' farther onto the spindle to seat properly. No go. I examine the spindle and there in fact are two different diameter 'steps' where the seal rides. The original seal sits on the inner most with a diameter of about 3.070". The new seal rides on the next step out, approx. 2.84". Return to the dealer (wrong seal???) and the one they sold me is the only one.

Go to aftermarket and look at a Federal Mougal 2081 and again, the inside diameter is 2.84 or so, not the 3.070 I need.

I can install the seal to the 2.84' step, but everything is offset based on the hub not being seated far einough on the spindle, so that can't be right. Everything from the caliper location to the depth of engagement of the axle shaft splines is off by about 3/16' or so.

Anyone seen this before? If so, what was your solution please.

Thanks.

Chris

chrisinkanata
04-27-2008, 06:15
At the inner most part of the spindle is another step. See photos. It clearly appears to be part of the machined surface of the spindle and I can't see how it would come off. If it did come off, it would be ok because that one smaller step is the correct diameter - 2.84" of so for the new seal diameter.

Jake99Z71
04-27-2008, 07:15
I've used the Federal Mogul 2081 from an O'Reily store. Hope this helps you. I know quite a few people have used this part number on another Forum.

WhiteTruck
05-02-2008, 21:55
Seals often have a lip that rides on the surface the shaft itself, or in this case the axle tube. However, the inner seal surface (metal) is part of the seal assembly in your case. This inner metal part will NOT come off when you remove the hub, and must be removed separately. It does appear to be part of the axle. I can't tell for certain in the picture due to the low resolution if you have removed this sleeve. A cotter pin extractor works well to remove this seal, you would place it just about where the line on your picture is pointing to. A few light taps of a hammer on the extractor will remove it. It is NOT hard to get off.
I can tell you that if you have removed the hub and did not remove another metal sleeve, you missed it. It is a common mistake, as it certainly looks like it is part of the axle tube. Look at the inner surface of the old seal, you will see the lip of the seal. Then look at the inner surface of the new seal, and you will see a rubberized surface about 1/2 inch wide, this is the inner sleeve still on your axle tube, which gets pressed in place when you install the hub and new seal.
I edited your picture to illustrate what I am referring to, as I don't have any dimensions available to me.

chrisinkanata
05-05-2008, 17:07
Thanks to everyone's help here and primarily White Truck, I got it done. The inner portion of the seal was virtually siezed onto the spindle. It was in fact a real challenge to get the old one off, keeping mind the sealing surface of the spindle needs to be pristine. Anyway, after much sweat and worry, it slowly started to become free and eventually, came off. The clearance between the steel part of the seal and the machined surface of the spindle was soooo close that there was no way I could see it with my old eyes. Once it moved even the smallest amount, I knew it was going to work. After 180,000 km, it was on there good. Had it back together in about 15 minutes, changed the rear end oil and it's all good.

Thanks again.

Chris

Kwasyd
07-18-2008, 10:08
Guys, I am in the same situation. Driver side seal is gone.. oil all over the rim and pads etc. I need my truck by Wednesday and can't find a dealership. Is this a tough go on the 2500HDs?
If someone has a blow by blow on what is involved in removing the hub and replacing the seals I would be grateful.

JohnC
07-18-2008, 12:17
It's not that much different from working on the front wheels of a '57 Chevy, once you pull the axle shaft out. Or the front wheels on an old 4WD with Dana axles.