PDA

View Full Version : new 6.5 in my 01 3/4 burb??

Vandermax
04-27-2008, 07:53
I am dreaming, but I was thinking about adapting a 6.5 in my 01 burb. I have alot of miles, and the truck is in great cond. I can get a lot better price on a 6.5, than any other engine, and i thought that my L480 would match up to it?? Any insights on this would be great!! Could this work?? I love the 2000-on bodys so much better than my old 98 6.5 burb. Jim. what do you think??

97-6.5TD-F
04-27-2008, 11:04
If you have the GMT800 platform I would go with a duramax. They were designed to run in that chassis and would be a way easier swap. Throw in an allison trans and you will be laughing!

chevy1988
04-28-2008, 12:57
If you have the GMT800 platform I would go with a duramax. They were designed to run in that chassis and would be a way easier swap. Throw in an allison trans and you will be laughing!

Have to agree, if I was to do this I would get a complete donarcar, for exampe a similar rigg that was rearended. since there is so much elerctronics involved in the swap... not just the engine. The gearbox is allso involved as I undrestand it... is controlled electronically.

Seems to be quite a project.

My 1988 G20 is converted to an -94 6.5 and I know when this was done they had quite a struggle to get it running. The coversion was made in -97 :)

More Power
04-28-2008, 13:28
I am dreaming, but I was thinking about adapting a 6.5 in my 01 burb. I have alot of miles, and the truck is in great cond. I can get a lot better price on a 6.5, than any other engine, and i thought that my L480 would match up to it?? Any insights on this would be great!! Could this work?? I love the 2000-on bodys so much better than my old 98 6.5 burb. Jim. what do you think??

Hey Mark, Do a little shopping on eBay to see what it'll cost to get a 2001-2004 Duramax and Allison. I'd guess a complete conversion using a low mile engine/trans would cost on the order of $10K, when factoring in the extra stuff you'd need aside from the engine/trans.

Doing a 6.5 conversion is also possible. The new P400 longblock is going for $6000-6500 without any accessories. Using a mechanical 6.5 with all of the electronics the newer Burbs use will require some creativity and possibly some compromise. And, a DMAX Sub would be worth more.

Jim

TAG
04-28-2008, 17:22
Matt at penninsular was eyeballing this exact scenario the last time i talked to him. We both understand your thought process. I have a customer with an 02 hd 1500 crew cab that i would love to buy & remove the 6.0 & install a penn 18:1 with intercooler. Now its looking like you can buy the very latest amg engine as well for a pretty decent price. Personally, every decision i make on my truck is not driven by bottom line, i happen to love the simplicity & personality of the 6.5. Call it a hobby if you will. I am not intimidated by the tech in the new diesels, i work on this stuff every day, the 6.2s & 6.5s just got into my blood i guess. I dont think we are alone or matt wouldnt have been persuing this project.