PDA

View Full Version : Blown rear axle seals

jspringator
08-21-2004, 14:39
My truck has blown 3 rear axle seals in 50,000 miles. What can I do to stop the cycle?

HowieE
08-21-2004, 15:28
Don't know for sure since mine only lasted about 5,000 miles but I think it may have been because the bearing load nut was not set to the right load.
I say not for sure because this one has only been in there for about 1,000 miles. I have noticed I no longer have a thumping noise that I had thought was the air horn mounting under the truck but may have been the axle since that was the only change before the noise stopped.
Who has been installing the seals.

DmaxMaverick
08-21-2004, 15:40
Check the routing of the rear end vent line. If it has a low spot or a kink, it can cause seals to blow, and/or cause the lube to blow out of the vent line. The line needs a clean, clear path from the end to the diff. with no kinks or dips. The oil vapor will accumulate in the dip and hinder the free venting, which will allow the rear end to develop slight pressure. It doesn't take much pressure to blow the lube past the seal.

Other than that, look for physical flaws. Check the seal mating surface for scoring or scratches. A slight scratch is enough to "rough up" the seal and allow it to leak over time. A build up of grime can also cause a seal to wear out prematurely.

CareyWeber
08-21-2004, 15:51
Something is wrong mine have lasted +181K miles.

The breather line sounds like a good place to start. I'd check it for a plugged end too.

Carey

sidedump
08-21-2004, 16:33
If none of the previous post work you could have a bent axle tube or one twisted from the housing. I've seen both done on SRW 14 bolt axles.

catmandoo
08-21-2004, 17:41
you also have to watch when you beat in the seal,i always coat the spring with a heavy grease,i have seen the spring pop out many a time,from this,and not much farther down the road shes leaking again.

CareyWeber
08-22-2004, 16:41
What kind of shape is the spindle's seal surface? If its grooved then it needs a Speedy-Sleeve (I also put JB Weld on the spindle before installing the Speedy-Sleeve to fill the groove or the seal will wear through the Speedy-Sleeve).

Carey