PDA

View Full Version : 2nd LMM trip report - this time towing!

Runaway_Dmax
04-29-2008, 05:25
My truck had just over 3000 miles on it and was mid April when this trip accured. Had to move wife back home to eastern WI. We were living in western WI during week and back home on weekends...anyway.

I borrowed a 24' enclosed snowmobile trailer and pulled it 245 miles into a 30+ mph head winds and rain. Avg mpg for that trip was 10.5xx mpg for the trip over. Loaded the trailer full of furniture from a 2 bdrm apartment and traveled back home (245 miles) with a 30+ mph crosswind and then returned trailer back to the owner. I refueled about 60 miles before arriving at the dropoff destination. Avg mpg was 11.2xx.

I then returned home, was a nice Sunday afternoon and topped off tank. About 160 miles...19.98 mpg with a regen thrown in and 60 miles of pulling that trailer.

I guess maybe these truck may be capable of 20+ mpg. Time will tell.

Sidenote/disclaimer: Drove the speed limit on the 4 lanes (65 mph) and 5 over on two lane (60 mph). Did notice when towing under 60 mph that the allison doesn't shift into 6th gear.

Getting more confident in the purchase of this emission laden beast-of-burden.

Mark Rinker
05-04-2008, 06:51
Doesn't sound too bad, considering the headwinds. Those are mileage killers - ND is notorious for this as we are headed west to Seattle with tall boats.