PDA

View Full Version : 2001 Duramax

ruhly396
04-29-2008, 16:00
My brother asked me earlier today about buying a 2001 duramax, i was told to try and shy away because of head warping problems, just wondering if there is any truth to this or any suggestions you guys would have for buying or preventing this from happining, such as new heads, or electric fans, etc. As i said its an 01 it has 140,000 miles on it and never towed a thing, mostely highway miles.

thanks

Proud 6.5 owner

DmaxMaverick
04-29-2008, 16:14
Welcome aboard!

The heads are a non issue. There are more Cummins and PSD warped heads than Duramax, of the same years.

Electric fans are OK, but only if it isn't doing any towing/hauling.

JohnC
04-30-2008, 14:14
Yeah, and if you don't believe him, remember, forums like this are lightning rods for chronic problems. Search the forums and see if you can find anyone griping about warped heads...

:D

Duramaster
04-30-2008, 21:13
maybe your informant is referring to the old stle head gasket versus the new style. the old gasket is peened together and the new one is riveted. ;)

DmaxMaverick
04-30-2008, 23:13
maybe your informant is referring to the old stle head gasket versus the new style. the old gasket is peened together and the new one is riveted. ;)

Perhaps an improvement, but still very few head issues to talk about. Nothing I'd consider a concern.

Mark Rinker
05-01-2008, 06:04
I personally know of three 2001 K2500s that blew head gaskets. All were chipped. None were raced or abused. Have heard of enough others to say there is a trend line, but not a chronic problem. Never heard of heads warping - just head gaskets going out. Major labor bill to fix a $5 part.

If you plan to drive it stock, go for it. If you plan to turn it up, buy a 2002 or newer.

My opinion/observations. Not scientific.

Kennedy
05-01-2008, 06:32
The 2001 seems more prone to:

Head gasket leaks

Pump regulator issues

Odd check engine lights/limp modes

Injectors? Well, that's tough to lean towards 2001, but the 01's seemed to have more fuel in the crankcase issues.

Transmission drainback

Not all 2001 models experience this and it's far from chronic. Also bear in mind that 2001 production was quite limited so on a percentage scale...

All of these potential issues are fairly easily fixed and when fixed properly seldom return.

I would not suggest an electric fan setup. They still need power to run (only get it from a different source) and if (make that when) they fail, you are down for the count.