PDA

View Full Version : shreading serp belt

ruhly396
04-29-2008, 16:05
ive put a couple in, in like 2 monthes. the idler seems fine, the ac doesnt budge, could it be the harmonic balancer? Anyone else have anything like this.

97 K2500 4x4

thanks

rustyk
04-29-2008, 20:09
You'll need to check to see the pulleys are all aligned. With the belt off, check to see that everything rotates freely. I lost a belt because the A/C compressor locked up. When you say the A/C compressor "doesn't budge", the pulley should rotate freely when the clutch is disengaged. You should also be able to see the clutch face rotate freely when engaged with the belt on and the engine running.

Hubert
04-30-2008, 13:51
Make sure its a high quality belt. The generic and even name brand belts from the parts stores just stretched out for me and then squealled and or chirpped.

Look at the belts and compare thier thickness and grippyness of backside. Carquest gold was the first one I found that was truely worthy of OEM quality at least from the non dealer parts houses.

Also look at the rubber hub of the main pulley if its flexxing too much will add additional stress to the belt which has more than a gasoline engine's belt.

This is one of those areas that you really can't afford to save a few bucks on parts (the main pulley and the serp belt).

Look at the water pump hoses clamps I think the factory spring clamps are pretty close and if belts are stretching out then wobble they might can rub. So monitor the tensioner position and how fast it swings towards tightening is a good indication of belt quality.

rustyk
05-01-2008, 17:30
I use the Goodyear Gatorback, which is more flexible and durable than any other. Costs twice as much, too!

Also, I had a Chebby 5.7L (with v-belts) in a prior RV. A slight leak from the water pump was enough to leak onto the crankshaft pulley, and it rusted into basically a saw blade.

Yukon6.2
05-02-2008, 22:30
Hi
All i'll use is gatorbacks,they will out last all others in our northern conditions.The one in my wifes car is 5 yrs old,serp belt,it runs everyday,whether it is +40c or -50c,it dosn't live in a garage either.I looked at it last service and it just showing shallow cracks.I put new ones on my truck,vbelts when i got it going they are 4yrs,24000miles,retighteened once,still no cracks or squeeling.
Hopefully they are still made in USA
Thomas

damork
05-16-2008, 20:00
I agree with the Goodyears - GM switched suppliers about 3 years ago, now I think it is Dayco. I never had any luck with Daycos or Gates - they just flew apart with not much more than 10k miles on them.

GM belts sold in the late 90's were top quality and it appears going directly to Goodyear is the only way to get quality now.

KenDavis
05-17-2008, 09:23
Check your alternator bracket and bolt. I found a crack in my bracket that allowed it to move a little, just enough to kick the belt off. Make sure the bolt is tight and not broken, this will also cause a small movement.