PDA

View Full Version : Is it running too cool

UK Diesel
05-04-2008, 14:40
Hi Guys

The 6.2 in my Caprice "seems" to run real cool, only just getting of the bottom mark of the temp gauge. The only time it gets higher is on the way home from work when I drive up a steep hill at low speed (the roads are narrow) but then it only just touches the first marker. Once I get to the top it drops back just under where it always sits.

I havent checked to see if it has a stat yet but I dont want to run it if its going to hurt it. But I'm guessing its been like this for a while.

The only reason I'm asking is that the only time the engine smokes is under a heavy load but when the temp gauge goes up to the frist marker it seems to stop as if is only smoking due to being cold.

When its first started in the morning theres no smoke at all really and its real good on diesel so am I just worrying to much.

Thanks Craig

convert2diesel
05-05-2008, 07:05
UK:

First of all, welcome to the world of conversions. The first thing I would check would be the temp sender and location. If you are using an aftermarket gauge then the sender would obviously be a match. If your chevy came equipped with a temp gauge then you would have to use the sender matched to the gauge (in your case the gasser one).

The best place I have found on the 6.2 is the water crossover at the front of the engine, just before the thermostat. The next place is the port on the front of the left side head (drivers side on this side of the pond). This is normally plugged but you can usually replace the plug with a temp sender. This is where I placed mine.

With a 95C (190F) thermostat, my temps run at or about the third notch (170F) and climb to center on heavy load. If all else checks out I would suspect that the thermostat is stuck open.

Bill

UK Diesel
05-05-2008, 07:22
Hi Bill

Thanks for that, The Caprice started life as a 5.7 Diesel so would it be ok to think the original dash gauge would be ok to use?

convert2diesel
05-05-2008, 07:47
Only if you used the original sender unit. You must match gauge with sender unit. The 6.2 gauge package was calibtated differently then the auto versions.

Bill

UK Diesel
05-05-2008, 08:31
Hi Bill

I've no idea what sender they have used as it was done some time ago and before I bought her.

I'll have to have a look and see if theres a stat in there I guess :o

Cheers Craig

convert2diesel
05-05-2008, 13:58
UK:

If you decide to change sender be careful. For some reason, the aftermarket seems to think our cars only had idiot lights. Even their listing for gauge equipped vehicles revert back to the same sender as the light. Go figure.

Check with your local GM dealer. They will have the right part.

Bill