PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about buying a 2001 Duramax

led
05-04-2008, 22:43
Hi all, this is my first post although I've been reading for years. I've gotten many useful tips on keeping my old 6.5 running by just reading.

Anyway, thinking about buying an 01 2500 regular cab, long bed, 4X4, duramax ($12,900). Current owners are the second. They had the injectors replaced at 60K. Truck currently has 119k. The truck seems to be in good shape and runs well. The only issue was a sporadic stumble at idle that happens when rolling to a stop. From what the owners told me they always changed the oil when required and did all other necessary maintenance. They have been using the truck as a daily driver to and from work. My primary uses will be towing about 8000 lbs.

So, what does everyone think? Good deal or no? What should I look for? I've got a lot of experience with the old db2 powered 6.5's but absolutely none with a Duramax engine.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

More Power
05-05-2008, 10:07
Get the warranty history from your local GM dealer. This'll let you know whether this truck has been a problem for its previous owners.

I'd want the "stumble" looked into, but the $12900 price is pretty good...

The 7-year extended injector warranty is likely over or is near to being over, depending on when the truck was originally purchased. It's about $4K for a dealer injector replacement. Can be done for less than that if you're willing to do the work and shop for replacement reman injectors.

Sounds like a good deal if you're looking for a standard cab truck... :)

Jim

Mark Rinker
05-05-2008, 18:18
How are the brakes? Transfer case sides dry or leaking? I'd get it on a hoist and check all fluid levels - if the transfer case is stock, it could have the dreaded hole by now, and will be low on fluid. If everything is dry and full - I'd check VIN history to see if its already been done.

If all the above checks out - make an offer for 12K, on the condition that they (seller) get the truck serviced to address the idle stumble. It probably needs a FPR - which is a spendy part.

Philsauto
05-05-2008, 19:53
Hi all, this is my first post although I've been reading for years. I've gotten many useful tips on keeping my old 6.5 running by just reading.

Anyway, thinking about buying an 01 2500 regular cab, long bed, 4X4, duramax ($12,900). Current owners are the second. They had the injectors replaced at 60K. Truck currently has 119k. The truck seems to be in good shape and runs well. The only issue was a sporadic stumble at idle that happens when rolling to a stop. From what the owners told me they always changed the oil when required and did all other necessary maintenance. They have been using the truck as a daily driver to and from work. My primary uses will be towing about 8000 lbs.

So, what does everyone think? Good deal or no? What should I look for? I've got a lot of experience with the old db2 powered 6.5's but absolutely none with a Duramax engine.

Thanks in advance,
Stephen

Ditto to all that has been said, but seriously, here in California that price is so low as to be almost unbelievable.

I will have to add that the 01 had head gaskets that would fail for no particular reason other than lots of stops and starts. Mine failed at around 154k. I did them myself since I own a repair shop, but I calculated that if it had been customer pay, I would have needed to charge about $3,800 for the job.

I bought my crew cab, 2001 with 148k for $18k a year ago. It is a very clean truck but the main reason I bought it was that it was one of only two that were for sale (at the time) in the Truck Trader, which covers all of Southern California.

I have 163k on it now and I really love the truck. If diesel were not $4.60 a gallon here in Southern California, I'd drive it every day.

led
05-06-2008, 10:20
Well I bought the truck. $11999. I'm picking it up on Friday. My local dealer ran the vin and it did not turn up anything major. Just the injector replacement around 60k.

I'll post again once I get the truck.

Thanks,
Stephen

led
05-11-2008, 00:02
Got back with the truck a couple of hours ago. 500 miles and not one hitch. The truck ran like a top. Thanks for all the input.

Later,
Stephen