PDA

View Full Version : Poor Starter

Dek Hawkins
05-05-2008, 14:12
Hi you guys, I am in England but still crazy about my 2002 6.6 Dmax. Chevy
I have starting problems when WARM mainly, the engine turns very fast on starter, but there seems to be a lack of fuel, then after about 7-8 seconds of turning it usually fires up, except for the odd occasion when I have to spray carb cleaner in the air intake. When running it goes OK. I do notice though, that on tickover (idle) there is a vibration/shaking feeling as if holding a hammer drill.
I have had vehicle checked over by several garages, and on computer everything checks out OK???
The trouble with England, our mechanics are useless, and know nothing, UNLIKE YOU GUYS OVER IN U.S., they don't know what a good engine looks like. Mine has only done 35000 miles, not much to have trouble.
I have changed fuel/air sensor and mass air flow sensor but still same.
Any ideas anyone
Wish I could bring it over to U.S.
Dek

snowsporter
05-05-2008, 14:21
sounds like you may have 1 or more bad injectors. check the warrenty on the truck to see if the injectors are still covered which they may be.

DmaxMaverick
05-05-2008, 14:33
Welcome aboard!

I agree with Snowsporter. Sounds like injector issues. They have an extended warranty for 7 years or 200K from date of original delivery. Your warranty should still be in effect unless that vehicle is excluded from the coverage. You will have to get the truck to a GM shop capable of diagnosing and repairing the Duramax Diesel. The rough idle can be from injector imbalance, or fuel in the crankcase. Check your oil level often. If it appears to increase, it can fill the crankcase with fuel very quickly. Drive it as little as possible until you get it diagnosed. Also, in most cases, there will be no trouble codes or computer errors. The injector balance rates can show it, but you have to look at that specifically.

Dek Hawkins
05-05-2008, 14:44
Thanks guys for response, the oil level seems OK, but I imported truck to UK from Canada, so there will be no Warranty. GM service shops are hard to find over here, looks like being costly, cannot imagine why it should be faulty with such low mileage. I have had the problem since August 2007, but no-one has been able to fix the problem.

Thanks again

Dek

DmaxMaverick
05-05-2008, 15:02
You shouldn't give up that easily. Importing a vehicle doesn't automatically disqualify it from warranty repair. You must have a Duramax capable dealership somewhere in the UK, or Europe. You only need to get it to one. We have a couple members in the Netherlands with this issue working with GM on it now.

The mileage on the engine isn't relevant to the injector issue. It is a known issue, and GM extended the warranty to correct it. An injector replacement on these engines is over $4000 US through the dealer, in the absence of warranty.

Dek Hawkins
05-07-2008, 13:48
Hi
Yes I have checked the dipstick and the crankcase seem full of diesel, but also there is diesel dripping of the bottom of the engine.
How can it get out if it is going into the oil ?.
Whats the best place to look.

Dek

DmaxMaverick
05-07-2008, 14:00
Prepare for about 20 liters, or more, when you drain it. The "leak" under the engine is the crankcase vent, dumping the excess, meaning it is overfilled beyond the level of the vent. The vent is open to atmosphere, via a pipe down the front of the engine. Don't worry too much. This is how many folks discover their injectors have failed. To date, no engine damage has been reported because of fuel in the oil.

Don't drive this truck until it is repaired (emergency only). It will just fill the crankcase again.

Dek Hawkins
05-09-2008, 00:13
Hi again,
I have dropped the oil out, and got 24 litres of thin diesel/engine oil.
I am filling back up and putting some Wynnes in to help allow for any wear.
The only time I will run it is to get it fixed, which is still a problem over here, as no-one has ever worked on one of these before.
Is it a MASSIVE strip down to get injectors out? , it seems like there is a lot needs to be moved.
Dek