PDA

View Full Version : 1995 Suburban 2WD with DB2 Mechanical Injection Pump

Bobbie Martin
05-06-2008, 06:20
1995 Chevrolet Suburban 6.5 Turbo Diesel 1500 LS, 2 Wheel Drive. Tailgate rear door with defrost & rear wiper. We are the original owners. Body is in very good condition, teal blue color. 181,000 miles. Converted to DB2 mechanical injection pump, details below. This Suburban is loaded with just about every option, Front & rear air and heat, cruise, tilt, power windows, door locks, keyless remote entry, deep tinted rear windows, tan leather interior (very good condition, except drivers seat bottom is torn at edge), power drivers seat, Delco AM/FM CD in dash radio with remote mount Delco 12 disc CD player. Heavy duty towing package with factory receiver hitch. Even though its a 1500, it has the same suspension as the 2500, 8 lug wheels, etc. 3.42 rear axle ratio. Wheels are the later factory aluminum 8 lug wheels with like new Bridgestone Load Range E tires. Numerous upgrades, Bilstein Shocks, later round filter air box with K&N element, Specially built "iceberg" housing alternator, Boost pressure & EGT gauges on A pillar mount. Converted to HO cooling system with new HO pump and twin thermostats. Exhaust was replaced with a 3" mandrel bent system, with free flow downpipe and muffler. I added an additional fuel filter just before the lift pump. Kennedy Diesel lift pump harness kit installed for better lift pump performance. The terrible composite headlights were converted to Cibie Quartz Halogen headlights, wired through relays, now you can see where you are driving at night. Recent repairs include brakes (rotors, pads, drums, shoes & wheel cyls.), all wheel bearings, tie rod ends, timing chain and much more. When service or repairs were needed, I bought only the best quality parts, many from the dealer.

The troublesome DS4 pump was replaced with a DB2 Pump. This has a Marine injection pump Stanadyne DB2833-4974, which is the 250 hp injection pump (.033 plungers) and "Marine" injectors with Bosch 311 nozzles. The pump and nozzles have maybe 20,000 miles on them. The 4L80E automatic transmission was converted to a standalone transmission computer. It has a Heath Turbomaster mechanical adjustable boost controller. This conversion is completely sorted out and bulletproof. It starts and runs just like a DS4 equipped truck.

Now the problem. I have oil analysis going back several years. The last one showed a likely broken piston ring (high chrome and iron). The truck starts and runs fine, but obviously something is not right. So I would plan on internal engine repairs. Price is $3,000 as is. This is a great Sub and with the engine repaired it would be unbeatable. The engine has never had the heads off, transmission is original as well. Pictures, further details and the oil analysis provided upon request. This Sub has lead a pampered life, driven mostly by my wife. It never pulled a heavy trailer, only occasionally a light trailer. Not abused in any way. Located in Jacksonville, Florida.