PDA

View Full Version : Engine suddenly shut down on my way to work. Won't turn on. HElp please!!

johnQ
05-06-2008, 07:08
I was cruising to work this morning. I was doing 45 and the truck was cool cause the sun wasn't out. Wasn't towing anything either. All of a sudden the engine just shut down. No spuddering or anything like that. It just shut down. I immediately pulled over and open the door. I turned the key and I could here the pump going underneath. I opened up the fuel filter on top of the engine and turned the key once again. Fuel came out. So I know everything up to the pump is working.
From lurking and reading it sounds like it's the PMD. The questions I have about the PMD is....is it hard to get the resistor out while mounted? I have a spare, but no resistor. Or should I just go get one? Also, if It is the PMD...should I also replace the fuel shut off solenoid? I saw a couple of threads where people mentioned that if that is bad...it would blow the new PMD. Also....how do I check to see that the soleniod clicks and it's operating. I saw in a thread about applying power to the connection on the PMD ,but it didn't say which pins.
ANy and all suggestions would be gladly appreciated.:(

JohnC
05-06-2008, 09:10
If your old PMD is mounted on the pump, forget about saving the resistor. If it's accessable, hook it with a paperclip bent to have little hooks on each end. Put them in the two holes in the resistor and pull it out.

If you can't replace the resistor (immediately) don't worry. It'll still run fine. Eventually it might set the code for missing resistor (but still run).

Unplug the shutoff solenoid with the key in the run position and it should click. No need to replace it if it's good. I can't imagine how it could have anything to do with PMD longevity.

Check the "Stalling" thread at the top of this forum for more info.

johnQ
05-06-2008, 10:09
Thank you kind SIR!!:)

cnbo4
05-06-2008, 20:55
Just wondering....Why do I need the fuel shut off anyway. Why not just plug the hole and eliminate a problem forever?

97-6.5TD-F
05-06-2008, 21:43
It comes in handy to shutoff the engine :rolleyes:

cnbo4
05-07-2008, 04:56
If you shut off the key and kill power, the truck shuts off. I wanted to know if anyone really knew if there were any reasons you had to use it. I cut the plunger off mine and have been running that way for over a year. Safety is the biggest reason I can think of. Any runnability problems that anyone know about?

ToddMeister
05-07-2008, 08:05
If you shut off the key and kill power, the truck shuts off. I wanted to know if anyone really knew if there were any reasons you had to use it. I cut the plunger off mine and have been running that way for over a year. Safety is the biggest reason I can think of. Any runnability problems that anyone know about?

Yes safety, shutoff solenoid will kill the fuel in the event of a runaway due to internal pump failure. Now if the engine is injesting oil or another fuel such as propane, all bets are off...