PDA

View Full Version : 2003 Tahoe swap

msh9475
05-06-2008, 20:57
I new to this forum and haven't seen a post for what I'm wanting to do so I thought I'd throw this out. I'm trying to see if I can swap a 2003 Tahoe engine for a Duramax 6.6. The Chevy dealers won't even touch it and the local shops are quoting $8000 just for an engine. That doesn't include the tranny, wiring harness or any of the extras. I'm trying to see if it is at least possible and if it's feasible to do it for under $11,000. (That's my budget) Any info would be greatly appreciated. I just don't want to get sucked in at $77/hr for someone else to experiment on my dollar. Thanks.

More Power
05-06-2008, 22:29
The conversion you're considering is entirely possible. While I haven't heard of many Tahoe conversions, there have been quite a few Suburban & H2 conversions.

If I were doing it I would want a 2003 LB7 for your 2003 Tahoe. All of the diesel harnesses will plugin and the engine will drop right in. You may need a 2" body lift to allow clearance for the Allison and to produce a little more hood clearance. If the radiator core support is different between the light-duty models and the HD's, I'd get an HD core support so installing the larger diesel radiator and intercooler was a no-brainer.

Labor is the big question. I don't think you can do this for $11K if you're outsourcing the labor.

Jim

dukeymax
10-19-2008, 14:13
The conversion you're considering is entirely possible. While I haven't heard of many Tahoe conversions, there have been quite a few Suburban & H2 conversions.

If I were doing it I would want a 2003 LB7 for your 2003 Tahoe. All of the diesel harnesses will plugin and the engine will drop right in. You may need a 2" body lift to allow clearance for the Allison and to produce a little more hood clearance. If the radiator core support is different between the light-duty models and the HD's, I'd get an HD core support so installing the larger diesel radiator and intercooler was a no-brainer.

Labor is the big question. I don't think you can do this for $11K if you're outsourcing the labor.

Jim
so would this be the same scenario? if you had a 06 6.0 in a 2500hd.?
i have a 2500hd 6.0 no motor or trans.
i have a 06 duramax and trans,with the tcm,no ecm
can i use the 6.0 ecm. or do i need to get a 06 diesel ecm which i can get also.