PDA

View Full Version : How to measure for new trailer axles?

maverick_935
05-07-2008, 13:29
I am not sure exactly how to do this so I'm hoping someone has done this before and can lend some help.

I have to buy two new axles 70000lbs. for my little trailer. I want to keep the trailer wheels under the deck of this trailer. I need to know the hub to hub face measurement of the new axle to order it.

The outside edge of the trailer is 83". I don't care about the spring perches at this time.

Do I base the information on the backspacing of the rims and the tire size, and if so what is the easiest way of doing this.

Mark

carco
05-07-2008, 16:03
This may not be much immediate help, but, Redneck Trailer Sales, has about 14 retail outlets in the nation. They have a parts book with diagrams and terminology for ordering Dexter axles. I do not know if their website contains this info, you might check or call one of their outlets. HTH Bob...............

DmaxMaverick
05-07-2008, 19:51
If you have the wheels you will use, it a piece of cake. If not, you'll have to decide on what size wheels you'll use, and do some math.

With wheels in hand, place them where you want/need them to be. Then, just measure one inside hub surface to the other. The backspace won't help, unless you are doing the math to figure it. Backspace is the depth of the wheel, on the inside, from the hub surface to the bead. Backspace will also effect outside clearance with different types of wheels. Some are thicker than others, by as much as an inch. An aluminum wheel will typically be 1/4 to 1/2" thicker than steel, at the hub surface.

gillguy
05-12-2008, 19:55
Most trailer tire rims are zero offset. If your going to use a 15" wheel it's either5 1/2" or 6" wide, once you put a tire on it then it's around 7" wide for say a 205-75-15. If your wanting to keep the tires under an 83" wide trailer then you'll need a 74 inch axle hub face to hub face.
Good luck