PDA

View Full Version : CDR valve availability question

AJMBLAZER
05-10-2008, 13:48
So...who's actually replaced theirs? On the J-code engines it's a big brass hockey puck looking thing with a tube running out of it sitting on the passenger side cylinder head. It's basically a diesel PCV valve for the uninitiated.

Recently discovered that well...not many people must replace them as they're harder than **** to find from the aftermarket (ie non-existent as far as I can tell) and only www.Rock-Auto.com seems to have them other than GM dealers.

I managed to get one for $41 from RA while the local GM dealerships wanted $71. Everyone else up here including NAPA, CarQuest, AutoZone, AdvanceAuto (Kragen, Checkers, Shuck's, etc), and two local chains had nothing for me. They all returned the military specific part number as obsolete and the civilian CDR valve part number wouldn't bring up any aftermarket suppliers. NAPA couldn't even find anything under the NSN the military used for it.

Anybody else found a source for them? The RA one that showed up was in a 11 year old AC Delco box so I'm thinking these are getting rare and I might want to buy a few...dozen...

AJMBLAZER
05-12-2008, 14:26
http://coloradok5.com/forums/images/smilies/whistling.gif

Subzilla
05-13-2008, 06:24
Replaced mine some years ago. Your picture looks identical to what's on my '83 and '86 6.2's. If they ain't liking your military number, try a normal civilian 6.2. As far as finding resources, I don't know. I can't remember where I even got mine. I do hope they're not getting that rare. Keep the eye on Ebay.

Sorry, I'm not much help.

AJMBLAZER
05-13-2008, 06:33
I did buy the civilian one for a 1986 K30 civy truck. Bolted right on.

GM dealers and Rock Auto were the only ones that I could find with them. I have heard that an autoparts chain in SW Michigan has or had them but haven't confirmed that.

More Power
05-13-2008, 11:35
If the 80's CDR ever do get hard or impossible to locate, you can use the 90's 6.5 CDR along with a passenger-side 6.5 valve cover - or just plumb it in.

Jim